Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

o/t Elise Alarm - Cobra A6422?

philwaters

Hi, posting on behalf of a friend at work.

I think he had the dreaded K-starter problem, which he has sorted out, but on reconnecting the battery, all he gets is a beep every 2 secs and the car is immobilised.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to make it a happy car again? I have read that pushing both key fob buttons until the Led goes out, then press the large button until the indicators flash.. any idea?

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Hi Phil,

The technique you're describing is to synchronise the key fob with the car, for example if you got a replacement fob. If you've got multiple fobs, you need to do all of them at the same time even if the other ones still work.

I had to do this when the battery went flat in one of my fobs - I just followed what it said in the manual. I don't have the Elise or manual at work today but I can check it this evening and post what it says if that would help.

J149 SPF - on the back of a truck ☹️

Ah. I forgot that the car has to be mobilised to do the reprogramming, which means your colleague will need the touch keys supplied with the car - black cylinders about 2 inches long with a metal nipple. Touch the nipple into the weeny hole behind the ignition keyhole. If he hasn't got one of these then I can't help.

Assuming he has got a touch key and can remobilise it (though your post suggests he can't!), this is what you do to reprogram the keys (from the manual page 13):

----- Start of extract

1. With the alarm system disarmed and mobilised, switch on the ignition.

2. Insert a touch key into the receptacle on the steering column shroud. The alarm tell tale will light steady.

3. Press, simultaneously, both buttons on the transmitter key for about ten seconds, until the tell tale in the key stops flashing and goes out. When the buttons are released, the key tell tale will light steady.

4. Press either one of the transmitter key buttons; the transmitter key tell tale will blink, and the alarm tell tale in the instrument pod will go out for one second.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for all other transmitter keys to be used, up to a maximum of four. When all keys have been programmed, switch off the ignition (alarm tell tale will go out).

Note that this programming procedure erases all existing transmitter codes, so that all keys to be used must be reprogrammed at the same time.

----- End of extract

I've a feeling I haven't helped much, but that's all I know! Good luck.

J149 SPF - far more talented than I'll ever be.