Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Cambelt Question

ChrisC

Hi All

I have removed the cambelt cover to find rubber dust and the writing on the belt to be worn. So can you help with the following questions 🤔

1, Is this normal.

2, Should I replace the belt, and if so is there any other part I should replace as well.

3, What sort of ballpark cost am I looking at (assuming a local Vauxhall dealer changes the belt), or is it better for me to purchase the special tool needed for the change.

I have taken some pictures here

The car was built in 97, and has covered 6K miles, from the receipts I have it’s been oil changed every year, and Caterham carried out the 12K service last year.

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

1. yes

2. yes

3. You dont need the tool. Set the tension so that having turned the engine over a few times by hand and adjust tension so you can twist the longest run of the belt (crank pulley to exhaust cam) 90 degrees with finger and thumb. This proceedure I have tested and works to 9500rpm.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

I replace cambelts at less 25000 miles or 5 yrs. Race / track cars more often.

Dust on the front cover plate is usual but perhaps not as much as yours. The writing is not normally that worn.

You have the later rounded toothed belt engine post 141xxxxx number.

The cambelt is around £25. Replace the tensioner as well.

You should have an auto tensioner that you set according to a little pointer and you then rotate the engine through two revolutions and check again. Rotating the engine is essential so that you can tell is something is seriously out as metal hits metal.

There is a cam wheel locking tool. But the standard engine has mark that will be vertical at TDC.

The main issues is not turning the crank at all.

Yes, they turn incredibly easily, even with the car in gear / brakes on there is enough play in the drive train to turn one tooth (more serious than a cam wheel one tooth out. Moveable by finger pressure. Very low friction!

So check that and check again. It might not be apparent until you cannot get the pulley back on as the 6 bolt holes are not diametrically opposed you will not be able to bolt it up alighned to the TDC pointer if the crank has moved.

If you want more help drop me a mail.

Speedy Steve's Workshop, Race reports, work done here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 1 Jul 2003 07:14:21

Wow the top people 😬

I have timed may A series engines, with chains and belts conversions, standard and very non standard, but this will be my first VX and first twin cam belt. Is there a good manual you would recommend (since I have no engine manual) the engine is standard so it should be a matter of following the instruction (very carefully). Also is there anyone you would recommend (in the southeast) to get a quote for doing the change, so I can way up the cost of not doing it myself.

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Hi Arnie

I will come to Norf Kent meeting tonight. I have not got a new belt from my VX dealer yet, but if you can give me a master class on VX cambelt changing I would be very greatfull

Chris...