Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil pressure looking a bit low ?

Dave Rothwell

Can anyone tell me how their 1.6ss normally reads on the oil pressure guage when hot.

Was out in the heat yesterday and the guage pressure when ticking over at lights was a bit low to say the least.

Engine sounded fine but just checking, only done 6000 miles.

many thanks,

Dave.

Who needs a Helmet - Get an Affro !

Clickhere to see Car and AFFRO !

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT

My 1.6SS has also done about 6000mls and when the oil is fully hot it reads 4bar on the move and 2bar on tickover, what sort of readings are you getting Dave? Don't forget the hotter it gets the thinner and less viscous the oil becomes and pressures will reduce slightly.

phil S7SVN

Phil,

my readings are more like Hoopys.

Just wondering if this is a K series trait or if I have a problem. Cant think I have at 6000 miles.

Once had a Rover v8 and the oil pressure was always naff.

Guages that show low oil pressure worry me. Any recommendations eg high pressure pump or similar.

Many thanks for your replies,

Dave.

Who needs a Helmet - Get an Affro !

Clickhere to see Car and AFFRO !

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT

FWIW, if your oil pressure gauge is reading lower than usual, the first thing to check is that the connections to the sender are healthy. The second thing to check is that the sender is healthy. They don't seem the most reliable of parts.

Dave,

I've been experiencing a similar thing on my 7,000 mile 1.6 K-series. I've checked the oil level (fine) and have also been checking for oil leaks (none). At start up, oil pressure is at 4, dropping to between 1 & 1.5 at hot idle, and 3 or so at around 3-4,000 rpm.

I put the lower than usual oil pressure down to (a) above average ambient temperature and/or (b) a dodgy contact or oil pressure sender. This is a part that seems to be prone to failure, judging by some of the correspondence I've read in the past.

Stelios the Bubble *confused*

Click here for my Caterham 7 page

Dave

I've got an Apollo on mine and when Iinstalled this back in the spring I also took the oil pump off and modified the oilways to increase the flow rate as per Dave Andrews spec so possibly this could be the reason.

Phil S7SVN

• Leadership Team

I was originally struggling to get above 3.5 running, 1.5 at tick-over. I shimmed the pressure relief valve (big allen key bolt on side of pump) with a couple of brass washers and got nearer 4 running, 2 at tick-over. Since fitting an Apollo I'm up to 4.5 running, but still around 2 at tick-over - I suspect that the apollo is keeping the temperature down a little, and there's the theory that the pump works better with oil that isn't frothy.

Stu.

Sender problems?? See my thread above. In retrospect, early symptoms were probably that the cruising pressure was a bit lower than i was used to - about 3-3.5 instead of the usual steady 4.