Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Message for Nick Woods

charlie_pank

Nick, you asked me to let you know if I fixed the running rough when cold problem (see running out of fuel almost thread)... well I did.

I took out one of the plugs and found it was black - overfuelling, this would make sense as it's fine at higher engine speeds - when it needs the extra fuel. So I took out the lambda probe and that was also very black, cleaned it up and put it back in, ran for 30 seconds, took it out and it was black again! Ran the car without the lambda probe (get you home mode) and it was fine, so I started the (Sunday morning) wild goose chase for a new one. Finally managed to get a pattern parts one (£45 as opposed to 100). Anyone who did supply the bosch one didn't seem to have one, or wasn't open, so I tried the pattern one and it works fine.

It now idles perfectly and after running for 10 mins the probe was still clean instead of being sooty. Im just going to have to go for a serious blat to clean up the spark plugs.

Hope this helps

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Leave for Le Mans on the 7th

S5EVN

Thanks for the info Charlie *thumbup*

I've only driven mine a couple of times recently and it has behaved itself so I dont know if the HT leads have fixed it or not. I wouldnt have thought of checking the lambda probe, so the next time it misfires the first thing I try will be to disconnect it and then have a look at it.

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport

I dont believe in Fate, but I do believe in Sh*t, because Sh*t happens - here and here

You can check it anyway and see if it's all black (check the plugs too). If they're all black then you're over-fuelling and it needs attention, even if it's not enough to make it sound rough.

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Leave for Le Mans on the 7th

S5EVN