Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LAD Performance

Red SLR

They recomend their own enlarged valves and they will do some porting, leave std cams etc in place. This apparently gives 165bhp.

But the prices seem to be good.

When I asked about Throttle Body Convs they said they wont do it.

X777CAT

I got the quote back.

29.5mm inlet and 26mm exhaust valves are the spec they use. Then they will flow the inlet and exhast chambers and combustion chamber.

Price inc vat, 12 mth warrinty and fitting - £1500.

Do you think this is good value?

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

Simon, whilst ignorant of these things myself, those I know 'in the know' such as Mike Bees and Simon Scuffham, have always been 'surprised' at LAD's claims. Mike has now posted here twice - for goodness sake listen to him! smile.gif

The problem I have is there is no tuners in the North West who can meet my needs.

It is all well and good saying go to Minster or Emerald, but I live too far away.

Does any body know of any good K tuners betweeen say Stoke and Lancaster.

LAD have come with a few recomendations from people I know and they apparently tune lots of Elises, admitidly they wont touch the ECU or induction system but is 1500 quid reasonable for the work they are doing? I could add a DTH TB system myself at a later date.

X777CAT

Simon,

I've been doing a few sums and costing out the 'bang per buck' so to speak. As far as I can see the best approach is to get an emerald ecu (lots of experience with K's), DTH throttle bodies, bigger valves (Paul Invey - better shape, stronger and cheaper) possibly in bigger inserts, and a ported head. Doing the head myself I reckon on about £1500 all in (I'll keep my SSport cams).

£1500 quid for a ported head seems an awful lot. And 165bhp seems an awful lot as well. I'm figuring on about 170-180 bhp before it gets expensive with uprated bottom end.

Any decent garage could swap a head for you and being aluminium won't be too expensive to post if you get it from a cheaper but more reputable source down South.

Piers

They have been in CCC a few times but they have also tuned and Elise for Lotus.

But it is now starting to worry me, they claim 165bhp but without a change of ECU it seems a bit optomistic.

I think they can get this from the elise as they add a sports exhaust system and K&N induction kit. It also has 1800 cc.

X777CAT

Simon.

I think you really do need to listen to the likes of Mike B etc.You could blow a lot of cash on unsubstantiated/inflated power claims

I have been going down this route and think that the TB's & ECU are needed; not that you can get an 'Emerald' ECU at present for love nor money!!!

I am going to see the people who Andrew reccomended. They said that they can biuld any spec I want which is a good thing I suppose. Their "main man" used to tune BTCC engines for Plato at Honda.(or was it Nissan)

Any way thanks for all the info guys.

Ta ta.

X777CAT