Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Air Filters........which

CHRIS CLARK

With DTH TB's which filter do the panel recommend as best for underbonnet fitment ? I have heard some say the Piper Cross type is best. Others say utilise a plenum chamber of suitable volume (whatever size that is) with front mounted 'K & N' type.

TIA

PS. Approx. costs?

From what I recall about previous debates on this both types are equally effective for Big BHP . I have heard it said that with an airbox around the TB's and a remote K&N (usually facing forward under the front triangulations) the car is quite a bit quieter. Additionally there has been some debate about the effectiveness of Pipercross type filters when it rains as they apparently absorb water like a sponge if they stick out into the airflow through the bonnet sides. It doesn't seem to effect the performance materially accept for when its really torential rain though.

Simplest route is an ITG or similar 'sausage' style filter on a backplate. You need to consider the position of the clutch cable and the engine bay diagonal, and also whether you want a cutout in the bonnet or not. These factors will affect your choice of trumpet length and whether you need any spacers between the strumpets and the bodies.

An air box makes a huge difference to the induction noise - it makes my engine sound like the Metro (well OK, Rover Cardigan) it came from. Nearly. Probabably.

Mike