Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulk Buy - Cosworth Racing Pistons for VX

EFA

I need some of these for my engine as follows:

Cosworth Racing 88mm Pistons (equates to 2,092cc with std crank/rods) for VX XE engine with standard dimension crank and rods.

Pistons are 3 ring pot type durable for road and track use.

These normally cost around £1000+ per set (in std size) from Swindon Racing Engines, (present stock =0 )but to make them Cosworth need an order of 6 sets.

So heres the chance if your VX needs a rebore, to get probably the best pistons for the VX engine without moving to slipper types which are not suitable for road use) at a much lower price of around £650/set inc rings, gudgeon and pins.

If you are interested, please email me at arnie@the-webbs.com

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Edited by - fat arnie on 7 Jan 2004 20:56:22

I should state the Cosworth slippers are not suitable for road use as they are a 2 ring design.....

The Omega slippers are an ar$e as you need to have special rods as the gudgeon pin is set higher than the standard position in the piston. I have no idea why they did this.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

OK got you.

Mine are Omega slippers which are three ring. Yes the rods are longer which means you need to change rods when you change pistons. But if you're going to steel rods at the same time as going forged pistons you can go standard length rods and forged pistons or just go longer steel rod and slippers. Only a problem if you already have standard length steel rods I guess.

By moving the pin higher in the piston and compensating with a longer rod the overall weight of the piston is reduced as the strong bit that supports the pin bore can be nearer the strong bit that is the crown. The bit below the pin does nothing but hold the piston vertical so, if the pin is higher the cut away bit can be bigger making the piston even lighter. Mine are 257g each (and thats 88mm too). A longer rod for a given stroke will also go through less extreme angle changes as the crank turns, got in the back of my mind that this is better too, but forget why.....

For anyone who thinks slippers are an alternative to Sparco pixie boots for race footwear, there's pictures of conventional and slipper pistons here:

http://www.omegapistons.com/pistondata.htm

• 5 months later...