Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Shift lights - shift points, Sureshift 2 installation etc.

Myles

I'll be installing my new ACES Sureshift2 shift light set this weekend (sorry Chris W - went for the expensive lights and whistles!).

Couple of preemptive questions:

Car is a 1.6 K-series Roadsport (EU3)

Operating:

i) What is the standard rev-limit set to?

ii) Can anyone suggest a set of conservative and aggressive shift points and ranges? The sureshift 2 has upto six independent profiles - so I can set one for 'cruising', one for blatting, etc. etc.

iii) The unit also has a 'shift down' point - any suggestions for this?

Installing:

I've had mine modified to avoid pratting around with the EU3 pull-up resistor - so it should be a straight fit but:

Where do I take the ignition wire feed from? Is it easier to go to the ECU plug or to the tacho connector (and which pin is which?)

Thanks and regds,

Myles

Thanks Gareth,

I've no real idea where the standard 1.6 roadsport rev limiter is set - isn't 7300 in that territory?

It would be v. handy to know the rev limit point (without finding out the hard way 😳).

Also - does anyone have a link to the power/torque graph for a standard 1.6k roadsport? This might help guesstimate a few shiftpoints.

Thanks and regds,

Myles

FWIW, it is useful to have a profile set up with the change down light disabled because it is a bit annoying for road driving at night. I also have a profile that sets off all the flashing lights at full brightness if I hit 5050rpm. This is because I have 9 points on my licence and I don't want to get any more... net result is I don't drive my Seven on the road very much any more.

Peter - what was the significance of 5050rpm? What speed/gear was that?

2500 rpm in fifth seems to be 46.5 mph for me - I had thought about fiddling a profile so that certain lights in certain gears corresponded to 30/40/50/70 limits - but then again, I've got two line-of-sight and two not-quite-LOS speedo devices anyway *eek*

REgds,

Myles

I have fitted the ACES Sureshift 2 to my EU3 1.6K (115bhp) car.

Rev limit appears to be 7000rpm (my "smartmax" reads 6983rpm).

Shift points as suggested in the Grads tech info:

5200, 5600, 6000, 6400, 6800 (shift down 3600)

I live in Stratford so you are welcome to have a look at the set-up. Contact me off-line.

Also have a K-series power graph that shows why a 6-speed box is such a good idea (compared to the standard Sierra type 9).

Myles.. information supplied from ACES / C/ham for a 16ss - 1st up shift light 5800 -- change up at 7400. The downshift light could be set to work in reverse if you like so that it goes out at your selected rev setting for your start away from the line.. and no that doesn't mean in reverse gear !! Caterham suggested taking the power from the ign switch & the screened wire from the tacho black/white (I think !) If in any doubt ring Julian at ACES who is very helpfull. I had to remove a resister from the aces circuit board otherwise the tacho wouln't work on my EU3. Julian will E Mail the relevant info.. Good luck

mikehoile - thanks - I've fitted it successfully on my own (should remember to terminate open threads...). It's a roadsport not ss though - so 7400rpm is significantly above the rs rev limit!

I cut the b&w lead just behind the tacho, took power from the heated windscreen fused output (I don't have a heated screen...) and shared the earth with my cigar lighter socket (used to power GPS, road angel etc.)

Because I'd heard about the EU3 issue before ACES built the unit, Julian arranged for the resistor to be removed before shipping.

Mike Malloy,

Another Stratford 7'r! I'll send you a mail - WLTM etc.

Regds,

Myles

The first couple of races this year after I had the Sureshift 2 fitted I thought it was a complete waste of time however I find I am using it more these days - at least the max revs all flashing bit. Never see the green light and frankly know by the sound (or the fact that others are going by) whether I should be changing down or not. John P