Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Leak from Differential (De-Dion)

Gaspipe

I have noticed an increasing oil leak from my differential. Nasty puddles appearing on the garage floor  Not a lot, but enough to be of concern. Seems to me coming from the front, near the prop shaft. Any views ? Oil Seals ? - Will it be a ‘diff removal’ job or can it be sorted in-situ ?

In the meantime, I think it would be prudent to top up the diff oil level until I can get around to fixing, but find the rear fill plug has poor access against that de-dion cross member….Are there any tricks to make this job easier ?

All Polished Aluminium

(and still polishing)

Jack the car up so the dedion drops on the suspension movement then remove the boot floor and fill from above.

There is a diff breather which may be the cause of your problem, if it is you can attach a tube to it and run it higher up to stop the spillage.

If it is the front seal then I reckon it's a diff out job, not too tricky, but remember to replace the 4 blue bolts that hold the prop to the diff

Not sure if you can change the seal that easily I had Phil at Road & Race do mine

Mark

I went on a trackday in May and had had my Superlight serviced by Caterham a few weeks before.

After the trackday I noticed a lot of oil on the diff as it was dripping onto the floor. I was pretty worried that I'd wrecked a seal on the diff (as I had another trackday the next weekend) until I took the boot floor out and realised the TOP of the diff was covered in oil.

I then realised it was coming from the breather so decided to extend this, when I removed the old one I could see that it was split (which wouldn't of helped). I added a longer length of pipe up into the boot and into a small plastic bottle (to act as a catch tank).

I also checked the level, via the filler plug and found it was still over filled *confused*

It looks to me like Caterham delivberately overfill the diff (to avoid oil surge problems?) and they probably do this via the breather pipe on the top of the diff.

Anyway a bit of a ramble but I suppose what I'm saying is don't necessarily assume the worst, it could just be a simple issue.

cheers,

Mike

When fitting the diff breather it is important that you line up the cut out on the plastic tube with the notch on the diff casting. Basicaly the pipe inside the diff is cut at an angle and this has to face away from the splashing oil. If you get it the wrong way round it will actualy collect oil.

Whilst you have your diff filler plug out get a large hexagon nut welded to it, it makes removal and tightening so much easier next time

I remember when I had the plastic tube the wrong way round. It used to fill my breather bottle (a 0.5L Coke bottle) easily. Amazing what fitting it correctly did.

Some tracks do encourage diff breathing - eg MIRA, wet trackdays

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ __ __ /

___ _//__T/__/_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ /o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) // /

/___/--_________/--/___/

My diff is going back in as we speak. I had two knackered seals. Prop shaft and drivers side drive shaft. 2001 SLR. Caterham have said that they had a bad batch and have sent me a set of seals. Which was nice. *mad*

Andy Mac C7 GON

😬 Team Langoustine. Hard Core Prawn here 😬

While we're on the topic - how do you actually check the diff oil level, what *is* the correct level and finally (you can tell I've been nowhere near it yet...) - what type of oil do you put in there?

Car is ex-Academy 2001 k-series de-dion.

Thanks and regds,

Myles

Thanks for the advice guys.

Removed the Differential last night and found the front seals had gone.

So whilst the diff is removed, thought it would be timely to upgrade to a LSD.

Any recommendations for LSD ? Quaiffe/AP/?

What ratios should I go. I have a HPC Vx with a SPC semi helical box.

Graham

All Polished Aluminium

(and still polishing)

• Leadership Team

Myles - It's EP90 oil, and you fill it up until it spills out of the filler hole (not very scientific, and rather messy, but there you go).

I went to a tool shop and bought a metal plunger type thing that you can use to squirt oil up a tube which goes through the filler hole which was a great investment for a tenner.

regards - Michael.

It's might be EP90 but if you have a plate type slippy diff then it's not any old cooking EP90 from Halfrauds, you need an oil designed to run with one of these. If it's a Quaife or AP lsd then I think any old EP90 will do, if it's not a slippy then definetly any old EP90 will do.