Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Getting Tillets to fit properly!

RiF

Posting this again as I did not get the solution last month and I am sure someone out there has solved the problem *confused* and would like to share the solution with us all.

Tillet on the left hand side is hard against the left hand rear side panel and rubs badly. My solution so far is to redrill the floor *eek* but seems too drastic *confused*

At the Kent meet I met others with the same problem so I know it is not just me. Seats are both twisted to the left compared to the chassis floor member!

HELP PLEASE *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*

Richard in France

STILL waiting for the last parts to get my bright yellow Duratec engined se7en on the road 😬 *thumbup* 😬 😬. Getting fed up with waiting now!!!!!! ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

They are a real pain to fit, why caterham/arch can't produce a paper or card template to help us out i don't know. in the end i used a thin sheet of ply with some holes drilled to match the mounting holes in the seat runners. Then cut the heads of two spare bolts so that they would fit in the seat mounts and act like dowels in the ply. Put the whole lot in the car and moved the seat in to the best position i could. The removed seat leaving ply template in position. marked and drilled holes and............. i still had to modify them to make the seats fit. This wasn't to much of a worry as i have made up ali brackets to take the weight of the seat and me back on to the origional seat mounts (i dont trust the caterham channel things ).

The passenger side one rubs as you discribed but is straightish, the drivers side one is slightly twisted to the right ! but feels fine when driving so i left alone.i don't think anybody has them are perfectly straight or free from contact the the side panels

and its virtually impossible to adjust the harness straps now !!!

Not much help i know but i don't think there really is an answer *confused*

Thanks,

Looks like I will be redrilling the floor *eek*. Want the adjustment so my wife can drive (that way she will let me keep the car 😬)

Really think Caterham would get this sorted *confused*

Richard in France

STILL waiting for the last parts to get my bright yellow Duratec engined se7en on the road 😬 *thumbup* 😬 😬. Getting fed up with waiting now!!!!!! ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

The tillet on the driver's side I fitted with the ali brackets supplied by caterham. The post-fitting problem I had was their angle - the seat is too upright. Solution was to place spacers on the front fitting points so tilting (excuse) the seat backwards. This gives a better driving angle and also brings the head well under the 2 inch clearance on the roll-over bar. The best spacers I found were obtained from the DIY store. Seek out the U-shaped metal brackets that hold fence panels to the post. They can be bent slightly to permit the bolts to lie flush. On the two rear bolts I used a single plastic washer on each to help spread the load. The seat cannot be moved so I adjust the pedals to a comfortable position. As it happens, I find that the seat is perfect except for lower back support. So here I've got a cushion from Halfords with a Sparco adjustable cushion velcro'd to it. Now perfect.

On the passenger side I used the crappy runners with the same U-brackets.

Maybe I've been lucky but I haven't had and serious rubbing or seat twisting, but I did have to enlarge the holes in the floor and in the honeycomb to get everything to fit. And I agree - they're a real pain to fit and get the right angle.

Also, without some sort of protection, I found that the holes for the shoulder strap will slowly fray the straps. I also find the lap strap awkward to slacken off. So for day-to-day use I leave it a bit loose, but I have the crotch strap fitted and can pull the shoulder straps tight against it.

Thanks everyone.

I spent the weekend while fitting the little extra I have just brought (upgraditus already *eek*) the lower 6 point harnesses. Not satisfied with just 4 point after being told about injury that can be caused by badly adjusted 4 point harnesses.

Played around with the Tillets and have packed them out with the additional packing pieces. Did find that they were not the same height at the rear with the recommended packing so was not so bothered by adding extra in. Will see if it is OK when I eventually drive the car, otherwise the drill will be out!

Richard in France