Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brakes too good

Peter Carmichael

Rob Walker - I don't think you do RC. I'm pretty sure standard Caterham mintex pads are not M1122.

M1122 is a very old fashioned motorcycle pad compound. BGD made me up some pads for both the 4 pot fronts and 2 pot rears in M1122 and it worked vey well from cold but was otherwise unremarkable, this was very much a one off and very unusual. I'd be very surpirised if Caterham suppleid 4 pot kits come wih this as standard. When I bought my 4 pots (many years ago, probably '95 or so) they came with a pad marked M1135. As I know M1122 are very "soft" and M1144 are Mintex's fast road pads this appears to make sense M1135 would be mid range between the two, a standard'ish road compound.

When I had a Superlight in 1997 with all round AP brakes the supplied pads were Mintex 1136. These were fine in both competition, road and track day usage. Adding the AP master cylinder made them better, to me, but I like a firm pedal I have to press hard. I never had a problem braking from 113 to whatever at MIRA....

FWIW.

Paul

The original pads in the big brake options were 1136 .

Peter - most of the R400 race cars use Pagids . Maybe its a right foot sensitivity issue and not an engineering problem ??

Maybe try simply slotting in a set of 1144 pads and see if that helps as a comparison .

I also consider a brace to be essential . If your foot is "floping" around then your will have a lack of sensitivity . My pedals are set so that I can use the cross memeber in the floor , but a heel brace would do the job . I have aslo put a foot rest next to the clutch , to brace my left foot when not in use .

This set up also allows me to left foot brake . With Left foot braking you need to be heel braced and sensitive .

Dave

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 27 Jun 2003 08:02:34

Rob thanks for your comments. I agree that it appears the Pagids are unusual in that their co-eff friction increases as temp rises. I'd have thought that was a very desirable feature especially as their cold co-eff friction is the same as other pads exhibit when cold.

Whatever the standard Caterham big pads are, the "system" as a whole certainly fades on a hot track with a load of consistent laps. Not massive fade but enough to worry you the first time you encounter it.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Lots of interesting comments on this thread, I've found that the standard front/rears were fine on the road but on track they just couldn't cope with the heat. Moving to RS14 rears did help but I never got around to fitting RS14 fronts before moving to the uprated front calipers.

As an aside the new style uprated front caliper comes with Mintex 1142 (yes I know that sounds wrong but it's not I have them in the garage!) pads as standard. Pictures are available here

I've since used 1155's on the front which last for ages but are horrible in terms of a complete lack of feel, I've just recieved a set of RS14's for the front so hopefully I'll get to try those out soon.

Over Christmas I fitted the uprated rears with a solid disk which has improved the braking performance again with more consistency and even better overheating resistance as well as an increase in outright stopping power (or at least that's what the logs say!).

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned is fluid, I'm running AP600 fluid now which seems to work spectacularly well even when been driving hard on SLR sized slicks on the track. Previously I've tried Dot 5.1 and others all of which suffered overheating pretty quickly.

In terms of pedal movement/pressure, since fitting the uprated fronts and uprated rears (the old style uprated rears) I'm finding the same situation as Peter, the pedal really doesn't need much pressure at all and there is virtually no movement (apart from an inital little bit of slack on mine) between no brakes and full brakes. Having said that I still find it fairly easy to modulate the brakes right up to the point of lock-up when on track. I'm hoping the new front pads will make this even better.

Ultimatly I'm pretty happy with my braking set-up, once you get used to the lightlness of pressure needed to brake it still seems pretty easy to hit the pedal with the right amount of force fairly consistently. I think personal preference/familiarty plays a big part in this.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

I'm totally amazed. I simply have to try these Pagid pads. V7 requires such a forceful stamp on the pedal to get it to stop, I'm actually knackered after a day on the circuit. Leg gets cramp.

I am going to wait until these new twin pot rears become available (any news Hoopy) and buy a complete set of Pagids in one go (assuming you can get them for these new calipers). I can't wait though so if anyone is changing from an old set of front Pagids with a hundred miles left on them (or so) perhaps I might try them out?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I,m currently running Performance Friction 01 compound which is the new version of the old 93 compound.

Pedal travel with the twin master cyl setup is next to nothing, yet feel is very good enabling demon late braking into hairpins or slight reduction with a brush of the brakes.

I have fitted a heal rest which you brace against during braking.

Brake pad friction material is a very scientific process these days with manufacturers tailoring pads to suit a given application ie different pads for cars running aero wings.

Perhaps a move back to a std master cyl will give peter a longer pedal which he can modulate better.

Dave