Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Best brake fluid for big brakes?

Clay Head

Unfortunately the search function is offline and I know there is a thread somewhere on this.

Anyway, what is the best brake fluid for me to use with my big brakes / uprated master cylinder. On a warm track day I noticed that the brakes were a little spongier than I would like and I have dot 5.1 in at the minute (not sure what make). I want to try to retain the ultra firm pedal feel that I have on the road if possible.

The handbrake mech is a mechanical actuation of the same piston and pads. The mechanical mechanism has to back off to allow the pads to release. The mechanism is self-adjusting (ahem), which means to say that it requires sensitive adjustment. IME, pedal feel is significantly affected by the various methods applied to winding back the handbrake mechanism. It seems that the mechanical mech interferes with the straightforward hydraulic mech, possibly backing the pads off suvch that the hydraulics have to move the pads back in contact with the disk resulting in a spongey pedal. The race master cylinder just tends to mask this.