Click here if you are having website access problems ×

An odd coincidence

Hibster.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s the wild color scheme that freaks me... Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you’ve done it.

If ya' can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all. Thumper

You know,it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die from asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my other told me when I was young.

Why, what did she tell you?

I Don't know, I didn't listen.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

One encouraging thing the guide does have to say on the subject of parallel universes is that you don't have to faintest chance of understanding it. You can therefore say "what", and "Eh?" and even go cross eyed and blither if you like without any fear of making a fool of yourself.

The first thing to realize about parallel universes is that they are not parallel.

It is also important to realize that they are not , strictly speaking, universes either, but it is easiest if you don't try to realize that until a little later, after you realize that everything you've realized up until that moment is not true.

The reason they are not universes is that any given universe is not actually a thing as such but is just a way of looking at what is technically known as the WSOGMM, or Whole Sort Of General Mish Mash. The Whole Sort Of General Mish Mash doesn't actually exist either, but is just the sum total of all the ways of looking at it if it did.

The reason universes are not parallel is the same reason the sea is not parallel. It doesn't mean anything. You can slice the Whole Sort Of General Mish Mash any way you like and you will generally come up with something that someone will call home.

Please feel free to blither now.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Ford: It's a bit like drinking a gin and tonic.

Arthur: That sound OK.

Ford: Not for the gin and tonic.

Probably badly misquoted - i have the books and homemade cassette tapes made of the first run on radio - but packed up in boxes whilst I wait on lawyers to do some conveyancing 🙆🏻

Meldrew - yes, definately a, Share And Enjoy moment. *thumbup*

The lift episode was not quite as surreal as meeting Terry Pratchet at a fancy dress party - I'm Jesus and he'd come as a werewolf, but that's another story

Anyone heard of Les Barker?

Allen,

Adams and Pratchett, you name dropper you! What circles are you moving in??!?!

I think you meant:

You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasently like being drunk.

What's so unpleasent about being drunk?

You ask a glass of water.

Yeah, sure you're right Kevin, glass of water not G & T.

I still enjoy my SF, but used to know quite a few SF writers, and get to go to some pretty good parties and events. A good crowd of people - one hotel manager reckoned we drank more than rugby supporters but caused as much nuicance as a chess tournament 😬

I also know Fred Clarke well, he lives near me, we were involved in a failed lottery funding bid. I have met his brother Arthur a few times. The first time I nearly met him he came round to see me on a visit home from Sri Lanka - I was out - and that really is my big claim to fame *wink*

That'll conclude my name droping for today 😬 *eek* 😳

Still want to know if anyone knows Les Barker 🤔

Hoopy,

It referred to the Vogon constructor fleet, just after the bit about Jodrell bank looking straight through them (which was a shame as this was exactly the sort of thing they'd been looking for all these years).

This was another of my favourites:

"For a moment, nothing happened.Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen. "

Neddy: "When all of a sudden, nothing happened. It happened suddenly, mind you." The Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler of Bexhill on Sea? I think so.

Marvin rules, though.

"Oh dear, I appear to be at the bottom of a deep, dark hole.That seems to be a familiar concept. What does it remind me of? Ah, yes. Life."

"Pausing only to reconstruct integral mathematics in his head, he goes about his daily chores, never complaining or even asking for relief from the terrible pain in all the diodes down his left side. 'Fetch Beeblebrox' they say, and he goes forth..."

"I've worked out that if I stick my left arm in my right ear, I can electrocute myself. Terminally. I can do it at a moment's notice, just say the word."

"What a depressingly stupid machine."

"'Let's build robots with genuine people personalities,' they said, so they tried it out with me. I'm a personality prototype. You can tell, can't you."

Arthur: "That sunset, it was amazing. It was like mountains of fire, boiling into space."

Marvin: "I've seen it, it's rubbish"

"Did it have...oceans?"

"Oh, yes, great wide rolling blue oceans."

"Can't bear oceans."