Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Drilling carbon-fibre dash

IanT

I'm hopefully fitting a change-up LED soon and would appreciate any special tips for drilling a large-ish hole in the carbon-fibre dash. I've noticed some holes drilled into my CF airbox and they've resulted in plenty of unsightly cracks. Keen to avoid that when I do it ...

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks guys ... I've wimped out for the time being and ripped out the main beam warning light (which is dim and crap to start off with) replaced with new shiny Halfords red warning light for the change-up. The Stack light from DT should arrive tomorrow but the cheapo Halfords light looks plenty bright enough at the moment.

Now works a treat (thanks again Arnie for the tip about the Stack outputs)

Ian.

Hi Ian

Obvious point but if doing any work on cutting carbon fibre it's worth using a proper facemask. Carbon fibre is very nasty sharp stuff and I believe the dust is carconogenic. Take care when hoovering up afterwards too!

I cut holes in my home made dash using just ordinary drillls, hacksaw and file and the material is actually quite easy to cut. Found the same with bits of an old Le Mans car I cut up too so it wasn't just soft carbon sheet. Some people do report that their drill bits wear out quickly but that may be due to drill bit quality.

The worst part is worrying what might happen if you drill in the wrong place or split the carbon fibre...

Andy Couchman

Q831FDD

Easy way to cut and shape Carbon is using Permagrit Tools. These are madefrom tungsten carbide grit brased to steel. We make cutting discs to fit a Dremel etc. Also a large range of hand tools.

We supply McLaren, Jodan, Williams etc, and they use the tools everyday !

http://www.permagrit.com

Give me a ring if you want to know a local stockist. 0800 298 5121

Regards, Ian

This was the bit I didnt fancy when I fitted my Ign Button. Turned out to be no problem - dirilled it CAREFULLY with a hole cutter and a little (gosh) VASELINE. 😳

Edit

That is of course Drilled - my spelling gremlins strike again !

Who needs a Helmet - Get an Affro !

Clickhere to see Car and AFFRO !

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 3 Jul 2003 14:01:14