Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ACB10 Compounds

Bananaman

I'm going down the ACB10/Slick route on my new car (510kg 250bhp VX) I've just got a part worn set of SLR race series slicks(for the track) 8.2/22-13 rears & 7/20-13 fronts. £60 the lot from Hyprion (Spelling?)

I want some ACB10's for sprinting & occasional Road use (don't want to be messing with the susspention setup every time i go for a Blat).

I know what size i need 8/22-13 & 7/21-13, question is what compound? I spoke to BMTR & they have advised me to go for A24, however I have seen some A31(rears), A30(fronts) for sale.

Looks like the A24's are softer than the A30's & these are a bit softer than the A31's so i assume that the A33's mentioned here are harder than this lot?

Would the A24's be too soft for this weight/power of car?

Andy

West is best!!!!

Edited by - Bananaman on 25 Jun 2003 13:15:46

You won't get a lot of miles out of A24 used on the road. They really are a sprint compound so a bit of a waste for road use. A31/A30 will cope with the occasional trackday and sound like the best all round tyre for you.

A33s are much harder (Caterham spec) and IMO are too hard for most uses.

Yes, A24 are the softest - often called a sprint compound.

For occasional road use and sprinting they should be OK but will soon wear out if you use your 250bhp for prolonged periods (eg on a trackday).

Have a look at www.bmtr.co.uk/compounds.htm which gives a brief description of the different compounds and their uses.

Barry