Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another home spun... bike speedo kit?

stevefoster

After years of bike speedo use in various positions on the dash I settled on

this. Simple location under the dash in a rivet hole. Still enough in line

of sight to be safe and the light makes it safe to use at night. Switched

into the sidelights power source.

Designed for the BC Sigma range.

There is more explanatory text with the photo.

I even cleaned Jason's dash for this photo :-)

Bike speedo's are brilliant. SVA'ble and MOT'able.

If there's interest in the kit I can get some made up...

Price will be reasonable. Quote to follow.

See pictures

here

Speedy Steve's Workshop, Race reports, work done here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 24 Jun 2003 19:58:07

Steve, At the risk of turning this into a technical thread - What Sigma bike speedo do you use. I have been toying with this idea but have heard very few meet the requirements like calibration ratio, max speed etc.

Whilst your idea of a kit sounds good I think you will find everyone has there own idea of where to mount it.

Alan

Alan,

Recommend the Sigma range. They are interchangeable i.e 800, 1200 etc, good for 160 mph, can run either Km/H or M/H, are robust have excellent strength magnets so you don't need the sensor too close to the magnet.

The wire is simpe pair so it is easy to extend with any fine pair wire (some use horrible coated stuff that is hard to solder)

The 1200 can be reset so you can keep the odo running when (if the battery dies) and can take 2 wheel sizes at the press of a button and displays which set up you are currently on. Good for track days for instance. On track I only use the max speed facility as I am far to busy driving to look at the speed. But to know i hit XXX on tyhe straight and try to better it next qually or race is fun.

The car in the photo is Jason's. It has done close on 60000 miles indeed. I am servicing it for him.

His bracket and lamp shroud was made by me, same as I have.

Agree on the individuality of mounting. But the wingstay bracket is common as is the light should you want to drive at night.

I tried on the right, on the tranny top, on the scuttle - problem with screen and tonneau fitting, visible = easy nicked etc etc.

I settled on the in the speedo slot. You can still use the unreliable speedo etc.

I personally don't tun the speedo, cable and drive anymore so have the sigma 1200 mounted on a round matt black plate in the hole.

Speedy Steve's Workshop, Race reports, work done here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 26 Jun 2003 23:42:34