Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Crankshaft re-grinding/tuftriding etc.

Ade Ray

I am trying to source a suitable replacement crankshaft. I have picked up one today and it is ideal in that it has been double dowelled, but....

The crank has sat in a shed for a while and has some surface rust that would have eaten into the tuftriding that was originally carried out.

The crank is already undersize but I think it could drop another size

Question 1: Would it be worth have the crank re-ground?

Question 2: Can I have the crank re-hardened in some way after it has be re-ground, ie tuftriding or nitriding(?) ?

Any thoughts and comments would be invaluable.

Many thanks

Ade Ray

*smile*

Nitriding is only possible with suitable steels such as EN40B. Unless you are talking about a steel race crank you will not be able to do this.

Tufftriding is a process that can be applied to most ferrous items and is the process recommended for a standard crankshaft. Standard crankshafts were NOT tuffrided by the factory, but it is a good process to carry out because it provides harder journal surfaces, better fatigue resistance, better performance under marginal lubrication, resistance to corrosion, etc.

The hard surface only penetrates about .0002", so a regrind needs a new tufftride. There is normally no problem doing this to a crankshaft that was previously done.

There is no real problem with a reground crankshaft providing that it is otherwise in good condition and you can get bearings in the relevant size. Ignore the old myth about reground crankshafts being weaker. Any loss of metal is insignificant compared to the overall diameter of the journals. The really important thing on a Crossflow crank is the radius between the journal and the main crankshaft web. If this isn't done properly, the crank will be weak

Many thanks for the replies.

I have just re-measured the crank and the main cap journals are really at the minimum already so I do not think it will stand another grind. Looks like I'm on the hunt for another crank! My brother say's my shed is begining to look like Cranks-R-Us, I think he was trying to be funny.

Ade Ray *smile*

Hi Ade

I notice you are looking for a xflow crank. I have one that has been ground 10 /10 and looks to be in good condition. You may even be able to use it without a regrind. It also has the front main journal modified for use of a duplex chain ie 10 thou has been relived to prevent the chain pins rubbing on the journal. Yours for £30 if you want it.

Tony