Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Race seats

David Ward

You have my sympathy as a fellow tall person, welcome to the world of a cold head !

The answer for me was to have a two part foam seat base made (had it done by Arrowstar in Bicester) and then swap out the dials for a stack combined unit so I could see that annoying speed indicator.

I found that I now literally sit within millimetres of the floor and hence cansee through the screen rather than over it !

James

Thin bench set up. I've never tried one but I think any seat will give too much height and distance from the rear bulkhead to be useful for very tall types.

I'm 6'4" (36" inside leg) and the thin bench works perfectly, though I also hear the pedal box has an extra stop in post 95 chassis and mine's on the farthest one - Caterham told me this when I was buying it. Could be rubbish! As I'm lardy my arse gives me all the padding I need and my girth means the side of the car and the tunnel are perfect for holding me in place (in addition to the harnesses). Not as uncomfy as you'd think.

I'd still like to be a bit lower and further away though, so am considering getting rid of the bench seats altogether (and sitting on the floor). The foam seat thing is an idea but I'm not convinced I'd be able to get the base any thinner than the thin bench seat. Another alternative I've though about is to get some of the interchangeable seat cushions that Sparco et al do and using just the thigh support, plus an inflatable lumbar support (velcroed in). These'll be much cheaper than the Indy seat type kits...

You can always have a proper seat or a fatter bench seat base in the passenger side for when you're carrying ballast...

C7 AJM