Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Link arm help please

AMMO

Can anyone help with some dimensions for the alternative chassis positions for the De Dion tube link arm? I have just measured the centre to centre distance between the A frame front pivot point and the link arm front pivot point on my '89 car. The distance is 220 mm. Can anyone supply the two centre to centre distances from a late car please? Many thanks.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 28 Jan 2001 10:52:22

It's 219mm on my 1993 de dion chassis from the A frame front mount to the lower of my two radius arm mounts. The distance to the second alternative upper radius arm mount is 264mm.

Be careful that in (I think) 1996 the A frame front mounting moved from within the chassis rail to a new position approx 50mm forward which meant it has to hang below the chassis rail to clear the body work.

That would throw any measurements off. Whether your's is the same as mine in 1993 is also critical but your 220mm and my 219mm suggest it is.

Thanks Chelspead. The bottom A frame mounting on my car is approx. 25 mm below the chassis rail and approx. 100 mm back from the top link arm position. My A frame and De Dion tube are totally different to the drawings I've printed off the Caterham CD-ROM. The car was first registered in August '89 and built from a kit. It may be even older still. I'm trying to draw the back end to try to understand what it is doing under acceleration. There seems to be at least four versions of the De Dion setup. What are the various benefits? Anyone out there know?

AMMO