Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Its worse than that its dead JIm !

Andy G

My beloved 1700 Xflow has died, (see previous thread on chit chat) oil pump seized, bottom end tight and teeth stripped of the cam shaft. So...

a) who would you recommend for an engine rebuild and

b) what worth while mods should I make to the engine

current spec gives me 123 BHP at the rear whells ( tested ) revs to 7,000

Andy G ☹️

I'd give Roger King a call on 01992 421111 (hmmm is it worrying that I know that number of by heart??) be prepared for a worst case scenario though!

The end result will be superb what ever you ask him to do, have a chat about tweaks/upgrades as well as he'll be able to tell you exactly what will help out. Have you got 3D engine management? if not that's probably the first thing to fit.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

just a suggestion - do you want to complete rebuild the XF or perhaps replace it with something else 🤔

This isn't a "Thou shallt have an all aloy 16v demand" I'm just wondering if you want to consider all the options.

FWIW I've followed Rob's XF and can vouch its ****ing quick in a straight line - and even quicker in the twisties when Rob's skills come into play.

But I've upgraded with another 60 bhp now - so we'll see what happens in the summer in Italy *smile*

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

What are the options for " replace with something else" ? a zetec?

I understood that with an early dedion chassis ( circa 1989) my options were pretty limited. But perhaps blatchatters out there know different.

Please note I do not have the ability to do the work myself, so any suggestions need the name of a competent workshop attached.

Andy G *wink*

ITS EVEN WORSE THAN I THOUGHT 😳 😳 😳 😳

ROGER KING IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR ENGINE REBUILDS

Rang him this afternoon, he is not taking any futher work, and is taking a break from engines in general.

Now what! *confused*

Andy G

Remember you heard it here first.

Fireblade!

Do not lisen to the metro powered fraternity 😳

Seriously a conversion to Zetec or Fireblade will probably cost around 3K once you've got all the bits. Worth thinking about.

On the mod front I'd go 3D 1st and then have a 244 or even 254 cam, given a decent head, springs and forged pistons etc ...

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

RK seems to be taking a sabbatical at least, told me he was closing down for the moment, as the kids were grown up and the mortgage almost paid!

Seems a sensible man, doesn't help with my problem much though!

Andy G ☹️

Edited by - Andy G on 23 Jun 2003 15:43:20

I'm always amazed (in Awe?) seems that here in the Staes the Pro engine builders that prep Ford engines for the remaining Formula Ford Racers have a difficult time exceeding 135 hp for units that last a Season.

Obviously Skill levels are much higher in the UK ;-)

Bare,

FF rules are often quite strict and use mostly standard GT spec bits, and the engines refered to hear are invaribaly bored to 1700 with meater cams and higher compression etc ...

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

I asked Roger about his retirement/sabbatical and he said he see how it goes. I said he would leave a void in the market and he said he didn't know what to say when people ask him where they should go now.

Crash team to the Upgradeitis ward, the withdrawal symptons are getting worse

Guys, one last engine to come out before sabatical I hope.

Anyway, bike engine has got to be a greatway forward. Relatively cheap BHP.

Or, second hand modified XF might be a good way to go, I can vouch first hand for Rob's engine 😬