Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Starters

scooby dooby doo

Messing about with all three types of K starter at the weekend....

1) The Brise geared starter. Its a big thing, but is lighter than the std one. It turns over the high compression new engine fine. Few points though:

You need shorter bolts to hold it in (or a lot of washers...). And the bottom bolt needs to be VERY short - screw in a bit, slot the starter on then tighten.

The integral spacer bracket is nice - but its a tad to thin - had to space out the starter by a thin washer on the underside of each bolt to let it disengage (Have you any idea what a starter sounds like a tickover RPM 🤔 )

2) Std starter. Heavy. But Enough power to start Emma's tweaked 1.4 K SS (higher CR). That is, it started it a few times at home, but didn't start it when she got to her mums - giving the famous click. Perhaps a flylead direct from solenoid to battery will do it and her MFU relay is on the way out....

Its entirely incapalbe of turning over my engine. OK - with a HUGE boost started plugged in and about 1 in 10 times it seems to be able to..

3) Magneton geared starter from Caterham. Casing is cracked in the std fashion. Gives the famous clunk. DOesn't throw the bar far enough to make contact - even with a fly lead straight to the battery. However - a screwdriver in the crack between the contacts gets it going OK....

It needs reconditioning to repair the crack - how much 🤔 Where 🤔

But I don't want it cracking again and I don't want it dying internally.... Maybe its just dirt in the hole that's making it fail... Ideas 🤔

It can then go on Emma's car again (its a tad lighter than the Brise I think) as its able to turn it over.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

What's the weight difference between the various starters Hoopy?

Radical idea which I wonder if weight watcher edmands has thought about - bolts for starter fastened at the bellhousing (ala the exhaust manifold bolts). Make a connector for the starter. This way it can either stay in its usual place for normal motoring, or it can be held in place by hand just for a startup at say Santa Pod and then put in toolbox. 3-4kg saved.

Hoopy: what do you mean by the casing is cracked in the std manner?

BTW Brise supply both the geared & the Magneton (Skoda part) starters & can refurbish them as well. When I was there last year they also had a new offering which had been supplied to Jonathon Palmer at Bedford.

Mick

The std starter is the ancient looking black thing. THe magneton starter is the caterham sold geared one. I've heard of two fail and its where the connection post pushes agains the plastic solenoid casing when its done up. ie its a bit of plastic that stops the stud spinning.

The tip that Brise can refurb them is useful - I'll give them a call.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

Edited by - hoopy on 24 Jun 2003 15:50:05