Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel tank

Andrew Dent

After some investigation today, it looks like I have a tiny weep on my fuel tank. Not enough to create any liquid on the garage floor, but enough to give a strong petrol smell in the garage.

How easy are tanks to replace, and how much is a replacement. Where do the larger tanks gain their extra capacity?

Or is it worth looking at getting the tank repaired

A 7 is for life, not just for Xmas

Do you have a FI pump in the tank? Are you sure it's not leaking from the gasket.

Removal.

It's a roll bar off job and then boot floor and then undo the straps / wires / hoses and lift out.

Assuming you have the Ali tank then any good welding firm will repair it same goes for a steel tank but junk that and get an ali one they are a lot lighter. They will probably fill it with water to expell the vapour that could cause it to explode. After that dry it thoroughly and

pop it back in.

If you have the FI pump integral to the tank (most K series) you may have to remove this first depending on where the leak is. Fit a new seal as they can leak sometimes.

A new tank is about £150 or so.

The large capacity ones take up some of your boot space...

Speedy Steve's Workshop, Race reports, work done here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 22 Jun 2003 14:08:32

Andrew,

I had a leak on my a couple of years back. Turned out it was the rubber seal - between tank and engine (Ithink..). A common problem on K series. James Whiting has developed a modified gasket - may be worth giving him a ring.

Pete (understand you are no longer doing Le Sept *confused*)

Don't attempt to mend it yourself. I tried soldering one with blow torch when I was a stupid teenager and the vapour inside went off like flame thrower. Had my hand in gauze dressings for weeks. 😳

I don't think you would be that silly though! *wink*

Who's looking at the Ferrari? Nobody, that's who!