Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Misfire

conorkaby

☹️ Misfire

I spend about three days back in the UK every quarter so time is of the essence when it comes to troubleshooting. My Superlight 1.6K has developed a misfire which is most pronounced on acceleration but is persistant throughout the rpm range and and when the engine is held at constant speed. Can someone suggest a logical step by step guide to troubleshooting the problem? I only had time to return the car and close the garage door when I last ran so I have not checked anything as yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

plugs fouling 🤔 - if you look at the plug and its very black and sooty that'll be why. cook them in the oven, or replace to solve.

HT leads breaking down 🤔 - in the dark see if you can see any glow around the HT leads (take the plug lead cover off) when its running. new leads or temporary measure wrap insulatong tape around them.

dodgy fuel 🤔 - if its sat for ages. replace with a fresh tank.

Loose plug lead 🤔 - press them all in tightly at each end and at the coil end.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

Also

could check the relays in the MFU (Angus's problem)

Also the Alternator connections/output (Steve Carter's problem)

Also does the brown from the Alternator go to the battery or the starter? if it's the starter then take it off and connect it to the battery and test, did this for Jon Hill and it worked suggesting htere was a problem with his battery cutoff switch or the cabling between this and the starter

Mark

I had a similar problem last month and it turned out to be an injector! If the other suggestion do not work, remove your injectors and get a garage to check them out... if you smile nicely they may even do it why you wait.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine