Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedo drive gear

Scott Tully

Having spoken to simon at caterham, i have found out that when they fitted my new 6 spd and 3:62 diff, they forgot to change the speedo drive gear *mad* *mad*

They are to send this to me so I can fit it as the alternative is a 4 hour drive to Dartford *mad* *mad*

How easy is this to fit 🤔

Azure Blue SV 1800 X-Power 140bhp. Now with Six Speed and 3:62 diff 😬 😬 😬

It's easy to fit:

1. Jack up front of car & apply axel stands.

2. Unscrew speedo cable from R angle drive in left side of gearbox.

3. Use circlip pliars to remove circlip from R angle drive, drive then falls out.

4. Fit new drive & refit speedo cable as tight as possible.

Mick

• Area Representative

Scott,

You remove the gear by prizing out the pressed steel cap on the opposite side to the sender. It's a bit awkward to get out with the gearbox in situ, and you will trash this cap removing it (it's possible to reuse the cap if you have full access to the gearbox, but I'd rather replace the cap rather than remove the gearbox!).

I helped a guy up the road to do this a few weeks ago when the square drive quill sheared off. It was even more awkward on his X-flow Dedion car. Yours should have a little better access, but you'll still need to knock it out with a screwdriver and hammer.

There is quite a selection of speedo drive gears available and I am toying with changing mine to try to make it read closer to the right mileage ( I calculate that mine over reads by about 5% since changing to 13" wheels), but I can't remember what I have fitted. I would be very interested to know what gear you have now and what gear they would supply as a replacement.