Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Urgent help needed with aeroscreen/toneau

Steve Robinson

I'm trying to swap my screen across to the removable aeroscreen in time for MIRA on Saturday.

As a long shot, can anybody make it to Arlesey (Herts/Beds border)today/tonight to help me fit them as I have been sent the stuff today with no distructions on how it all fits, and no tool for fastening the poppers on the tonneau.

There is a donation to NTL on offer plus all the coffee you can drink if you can bail out the mechanically inept!

Robbo

I can't make it (I think the Rev Limiter might hit the red-line), but if it's any consolation it's very easy and the caterham supplied tool for fitting poppers is basically a drift and a backing plate. You hammer the drift into the popper to split the end of it. You could really do this with a nail if you don't have the tool.

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Leave for Le Mans on the 7th

S5EVN

put some masking tape over the scuttle and place the screen over the top. Mark through the holes in the screen where you want the holes in the scuttle to be on the masking tape. Then get a good centre punch to make sure you drill it in the right place. The secret with drilling metal is a nice sharp drill and go slowly!

C

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Leave for Le Mans on the 7th

S5EVN

Just finished my tonneau......

When I measured precisely where to put the poppers on the scuttle top, as per the manual, I still missed the chasis underneath so the rivets are only through ali skin ☹️

When I drilled one of the front bottom holes for the popper, below scuttle rivet, I leant on my low power rechargable drill a little exsessively and the bit broke. I scarred the paint work to the tune of a deep scratch 3 mm long and 2mm wide ☹️ ☹️

I put back-to-back poppers in the outsides of the boot cover to allow the tonneau to secure over the cover on the same poppers. Same on the tonneau over the next popper down by the wheel arch, and put a new popper in the sidescreen in the far rear corner so I can secure the sidescreen shut over the tonneau. *smile* Also allows me to secure sidescreen when hood is up once I am out of the car. *smile*

Noticed that when I drove with passenger side tonneau in place, the inability to secure the bottom flap of the sidescreen made it come up horizontal like a wing Now also have back-to-back popper on bottom front of tonneau, and a popper in sidescreen, to secure leading edge of side screen flap down on tonneau popper.

Sounds complicated but looks smart, and secures sidescreens without cutting slits in the tonneau 😬

Shame about the paint though ☹️ 🙆🏻

Dave

Saw a 7 *cool*

Hitched a ride in a 7 *eek*

Ordering a 7 *wink* - Done that now

Will Own a 7 😬 - First Week of 2003 - Got Her Now 😬 😬

Up to the elbows in cardboard and bits 😳 passed Post Build now - SVA in 2 weeks SVA was a breeze (except the driver side door hinges *mad*)

2 weeks and 4 visits to DVLA just to get the registration *mad* On the Road At Last 😬 😬

Membership Number 6640

Edited by - drivrich on 19 Jun 2003 20:59:48

Edited by - drivrich on 19 Jun 2003 21:02:34