Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series oil surge and low pressure

Scott Tully

I have a 140bhp K series and under hard acceleration at about 5-5500 revs the oil pressure drops which I think is oil surging to the back of the sump. I have proved this as when at high cruising speed you change down to bring the revs up to 5 or 6000 the pressure remains fine.

Does anyone else have this problem and any ideas how to overcome it?

And yes it is full of oil, if any thing it is slightly over full but trying different levels doesnt seem to make much difference and I am loathed to put to much oil in.

Any suggestions?

Azure Blue SV 1800 X-Power 140bhp. Now with Six Speed and 3:62 diff 😬 😬 😬

first thing is to check that the oil level is correct. do you have an apollo tank 🤔

If so you need to check the oil level with it hot and running, if you don't have an apollo you check with the engine off. I think this is right (I've got a dry sump so that's different again) so wait for a confirmation from somebody.

The wet sump design does mean you run a gauntlet between too much oil and windage causing the oil temp to rocket at high revs and too little leading to surge. Unfortunately these two regimes seem to overlap so you can suffer from both... ☹️

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

As a point to note with the oil and an apollo - i started the engine waited 2 mins and checked oil - looked about 1 cm too low!! Left engine running, came back 5 mins later, still about 7 mil too low, came back another 10 mins later, when oil temp was up to normal running temp and oil level was absolutely spot on. Is my oil expanding, or hiding til it's warm enough to come out and play!?

Perhaps this phenomenon is confounding your readings when checking the oil?

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Leave for Le Mans on the 7th

S5EVN

No i dont have an apollo tank, do i need one? Yes I have had the car from new. It is only 9 months old. I didnt notice this problem until the car came back from Caterham having had a six speed fitted.

Azure Blue SV 1800 X-Power 140bhp. Now with Six Speed and 3:62 diff 😬 😬 😬

Charlie,

The oil is forcibly pumped into the engine's working areas but only drains under the effects of gravity. If the oil is cold and viscous it doesn't drain half as effectively as when warm, so more oil is retained in the head. This is the effect you are seeing.

Scott,

If there has been a change in behaviour since Caterham did some work on the car, it needs investigating. It could be a wiring problem though, but for safety I would recommend dropping the sump and having a look.

Hoopy

ref your:

If so you need to check the oil level with it hot and running, if you don't have an apollo you check with the engine off. I think this is right (I've got a dry sump so that's different again) so wait for a confirmation from somebody.

I do not have an Apollo tank and the instructions with the engine are to read the oil "hot and running".

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 19 Jun 2003 10:40:52

not convinced I agree with theoil level checking instructions on the FAQ for the dry sump. The bit about filling until oil is chucked out is utter tosh and the distance to dip is not what Caterham recommend (they say 9.5 inches).

Graham

R500Owners.com recommends not letting it drop below 9.5 inches, but ISTR the filling instructions are for 11inches. IME 11 inches guarantees that some (quite a lot) gets vented to the catch tank, so I have a dipstick marked up for 10 inches.

YMMV.

Just drove home with a leaking bottom plate and had lost a litre or two over the underside of the car, so there is some tolerance.