Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Changing Suspension Bushes etc

gareth

Easy. Either take the component off the car (this is best) or remove all flammable material. Then stick a blowtorch on it for a minute until the bush is smoking. Don't breathe the fumes and poke out the remains with a stick or an old screwdriver. Let cool and repaint if reqd. Renew the bush. This is the easiest route for really old stuff, believe me.

If you don't want to be so brutal you can use a vice and spacers to push it out, or ideally a hydraulic press. It's less fun though and you can't cackle "Oh yeah? Thought you were hard did you? Laugh this one off, pal!" as you do the job, which is always satisfying. *smile*

Which bush are we doing? If it's the Caterham metal sleeve, rubber, metal sleeve type then I did some the other day.

I used a large socket one side (big enough for the bush to fit into, small enough to rest against the arm) and a big nut the other side to push it thro and put it in the vice. It didn't quite go to plan as it pushed the rubber and inner sleeve out of the outer sleeve which stayed in the suspension arm. So I then had to very carefully hacksaw thro the sleeve (but not the arm!!) until the outer sleeve collapsed at which point it came out easily.

Fix a long bolt in the bush with a nut and washer each side that will slide through the chassis mount. The bolt standing proud can be pushed through using a bearing puller tool, only instead of the arms pulling, the central screw will push the bolt/nut/washers/bush assembly out of the chassis mounting.

It sounds a fiddly way to do it but it gives a lot of control. Arms to tend to slip off though.

I did once resort to a socket extension bar with an appropriate sized socket as a pusher and whacked the S**t out of it with a lumphammer until the bush popped out and flew across the garage. I'd like to point out though, it had been a long day, the bush was well stuck and I'd already been annoyed several times before the bush became the last straw.

Either way seems to work well.

I tried the long bolt with a big nut method...and stripped the thread.

I then tried the socket method with my bench vice....and broke the vice (it shattered!!)

Finally I used a hydraulic press and it took 2 minutes!

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Definately don't like the idea of burning the b***stard out, all that heat won't do the component ie, suspension arm, A frame, radius arm, any good at all, stay away from that idea, 2 sockets and a bench vice worked for me, a long high tensile bolt with suitable nuts and washers would possibly also work, and you could also carefully cut with a junior hacksaw through the whole bush, dont cut into the surrounding metal, and a gentle push should do, then of course you have to install the new bushes, have fun, and welcome to the world of Caterham camaderie, even without oily fingernails, that'll change, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Hi

Well first time I took mine to garage slipped the mechanic a tenner job done in his lunch hour second time all the local garages said it had to be a booked in job that err £45 sir one hours minimum charge. WHAT

So I flamed them out last time messy and you need to repaint so it takes longer. The above is much easier. none of the local very small outlets have a press. What do they do 🤔 take it to a local garage slip a mate a tenner.... then charge me on top. Well that was £30....... mutter. One said they just burn them out well I can do that....

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.