Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

DAMPERS

PACR

I need to find out what stroke is required - What's needed front and rear (widetrack front without the spacers - I assume a little longer)? The valving can be sorted out later if the sizes available are suitable. I don't think the Ohlins will fit due to the reservior on the side and the cost.

How much are the Nitrons and similar?

Piers

You need two things. Appropriate open length and also appropriate stroke.

I don't think 2812s would be suitable for the rear because they operate at the lower speeds encountered in pushrod formula car suspensions.

I think Richard Ince is using some fancy Racing Dynamic dampers on his R500. Think they were mega wonga.

Nitrons have the same construction as the Ohlins/Penske/White Industries/Racing Dynamics of this world but seem to be real world priced. Guy is a nice bloke to deal with too. Price for a full car set will be less than a grand for single adjustable.

an interesting question here - has anybody done a price versus seconds off laptime comparison for dampers 🤔

ie 60 quid a corner for std caterham bilsteins

100 quid a corner for freestyles (adjustable height, and bump'n'rebound)

hundreds a corner for this fancy stuff.

not trying to prove anything - just interested...

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

I know Cadwell pretty well and of all circuits I have the most datalogs from cadwell.

Club trackday 250bhp engine, Bilstein dampers. Best time... 1:37

oops, blow up engine, 150bhp engine, Nitron dampers, With a passenger!... 1:38

Curborough last year (also with datalogs) : Bilsteins 59.56

Nitrons: 58.4 in practice and would have been a 58.1 if I could have remembered to change gear.

My testing for August Curborough last year consisted of just four runs with damper setting changes in between. I just dialled in the dampers and the time plummeted. I stopped when I got to 58.1, which would have been demonstrated to have been repeatable, except for that inability to change gear...

So I reckon they're worth a lot. I want to see if I can get sub-60 with the 150bhp engine in August.

But that is not to say that they are any "quicker" than the Freestyle AVOS.

so we're looking at 3% a lap or so then? 59.6 to 58.1. And that's with bilstein's to Nitrons - there are more expensive (better?) things in existance as well. I know its hard to guess - but do you reckon the improvement is solely dampers? or is some of it conditions, tyre condition, you getting better round the place etc 🤔

I guess this is why even fairly low budget teams will spend days testing the things....

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R