Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What spares to take on trip to Italy?

Ninja Boy

OK, so this has almost certainly been done a thousand times before, but while the search facility is still down and there's nothing obvious in the FAQ, can anyone please pass on their tips? Maybe I'll try and start something in the FAQ with the responses I get...

I'm hoping to go to Italy for a week or two next month (first Euro-trip in any car, never mind the Seven *eek*), and beyond the clutch cable (which is already groaning), throttle cable, bulbs and fuses, I'd like to know what other spares I should be taking with me. I thought I'd better get a single order into the parts department, rather than lots of smaller ones!

I had a look at excellent se7enstour website, which gave some good pointers, but I'm not planning to hammer around at any great pace (nor do any trackdays), so brakes/tyres etc. shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'd rather be prepared. Any advice on which tools to take would also be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

PS - I must get into the habit of bookmarking useful topics, in case the search never comes back. Perhaps we could get Barry to create/maintain a static index page with keywords (and use ctrl-F) in lieu of the full search functionality?

😬 *cool* 1800 K-Series - S132 CUY *cool* 😬

😳 *eek* Also hairdresser's tin-top - J777 DMH - if it's raining *eek* 😳

Mark

Don't bother taking any wine or women. They have plenty there already.

You could add to your list alternator belt (if you have a spare it will never snap) and bribe money for the Carabinieri.

AMMO

Thanks Ammo - I'm visiting a couple of belle signorine 😬, as it happens...

Any more tips, anyone? For the car, that is... 😳

Cheers,

Mark

you probably want oil AND coolant *wink*

and you'll need a screwdriver to get the nose or lightcovers off.

legal regs may require the triangle, a medical kit, and set of bulbs.

the cables are VERY useful - otherwise you'll need a bodge at a garage - if you've got the right one (and the correct tool to get the pedal box cover off) then you'll be fine.

exhaust bobbin (its from a mini)

its tempting to take things unique to the car or who'se source you don't know or that may just fail but are easy to replace: fuel filter, spark plugs.

if you're getting a bit keener then some wire, spade connectors, crimping tool, a set of spanners, pliers etc may be useful. But unless you carry the whole set of tools the chances are you'll need to go to a garage anyway.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

When I was in France I got through 3 ECU fuses (20A) so if you have an ECU, take some (it doesn't seem to go very well without it).

Small bike pump & tyre pressure gauge.

Allen keys and socket set.

Leatherman is really useful.

C

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: Leave for Le Mans on the 7th

S5EVN

Hi

Can't offer any help on the spares suggestion other than a English-Italian dictionary. What part of Italy are you planning on visiting? I am looking into the possibility of bringing my 7 over at some stage next year as I am currently languishing in southern Italy and would appreciate a resume of your experiences.

I can help you out with translating if you run into problems!

Have fun

conorkaby@yahoo.com

Thanks for the help, chaps *thumbup*.

Conorkaby - I'm not venturing far south, just to Novara and Milan (and maybe heading to one of the more interesting automotive towns too, as per last month's Evo feature). My Italian is fairly "basic" (despite having once lived with one for a couple of years), so the dictionary/phrasebook will be coming along, at least until I reach my native ragazze *cool*. My rusty French will probably find some use on the way down, too *confused*. I'll post a report when I get back. I feel a "Howto/Survive a European trip" FAQ topic coming on...

Cheers,

Mark