Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series, emissions, MOTs

ewenm

Hi All,

Quick update - I said I'd let people know about any comments from my MOT after I swapped my standard Caterham Cat'd exhaust for a 4-2-1 Powerspeed Cat-free one. No problems with emissions whatsoever on my P-reg factory built car (first reg July 1997). Don't know if that clears up any confusion on the issue of when Cats are needed and when they aren't.

Plenty of other problems, but emissions were fine *tongue*

Cheers, Ewen

67000 miles and counting...

If we had the search facility I'd dig out the previous threads on this...

I think it's not that simple - there's something about emissions tests for cars that were SVA'd (since 1st Aug 1998 🤔)

>

67000 miles and counting...

Is this the latest version of the FAQ page ? because, I added some comments about pre-sva cars which are no longer there (

Specifically, if it is a kit built car then it only needs a visible smoke test, if its factory built then there is a book with all the standard emission levels in it and the car will be expected to meet them. And my mot man's copy of the book includes K-series caterhams *eek*. The vehicle reg document will say if its kit built

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport

I dont believe in Fate, but I do believe in Sh*t, because Sh*t happens - here and here

Simon Lambert's December 02 post (see link) seems absolutely clear about the need to re-fit the cat prior to MOT testing...

Ewen: did the nice MOT man stick his gase probe thing into the exhaust prior to giving you the all clear?

I too have the same Powerspeed exhaust but it is a direct replacement for a standard (2001) factory-build/fit Caterham cat exhaust. If the emissions are clean enough without the cat. then I'm happy. If I have to refit the cat. regardless then I shall be less happy...

Thoughts appreciated!

Christian