Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedo stopped working - more queries

Griff

I now know why the speedo stopped - the angle drive dropped off the gearbox! But not knowing exactly what was there before I have some questions:-

1. The angle drive seems to have a brass flange retained by the circlip to the (6-speed) gearbox. When refitted this seems very sloppy and with a little waggle it slips out again. Did I lose something else when it fell off?

2. The end of the right angle drive seems to have a rectangular peg which engages in a slot on the gearbox side, or does it? (Might have been vice versa with peg in gearbox, slot in r/a drive, not sure now). Anyhow, isn't this where the little nylon connector should have been? Or is that between the cable and the speedo housing? I'm referring to the bit I'm told often breaks and is the main cause of speedo failures.

3. Trying to unscrew the speedo cable from the right angle drive, the knurled nut comes lose but the cable doesn't seem to want to release. Is the cable a permanent part of the assembly along with the right angle drive or do I just need to pull harder?

4. Looking at the input into the right angle drive (from the gearbox end), which way does the cable rotate to operate the speedo? This is so I can connect a drill to it and check the speedo and cable are all operating as intended. Not clocking the car, honest guv...

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Hoopy. I've got a bike speedo too, but as it only came with one magnet it only works with my A021s. Haven't got round to sorting it for the A032s yet (where can I get a small round magnet?). Are bike speedos OK for the MoT? I'd like a stack too but that will be a winter job as I'll need several months to get my head around the wiring. Meantime I'm still not sure if I've lost a bit somewhere between the right angle drive and the drive pin on the gearbox...

There is just a separate, short, square section pin, about 25 or so mm long that takes the drive between the gearbox output and the angle drive which is, itself, simply held in place (or not as the case may be) by an internal circlip in the side of the tailshaft housing against a thin brass flange.

It is not a very satisfactory arrangement, as many will attest. Are you certain the circlip was sitting fully home inside the annular groove in the gearbox?

Brent

Brent,

I'll have to have a better look this evening, maybe take some pictures and post them here so someone can tell me what's right and wrong. Definitely the brass flange was sitting as properly as it could be behind the circlip when I'd finished - and the speedo still didn't work!

Mike

Will have to get that cycle speedo working. The square pin from the right angle drive has sheared off part way down leaving a bit right inside the stub that protrudes from the gearbox. Tried everything including some choice words to get it out, but no joy - ideas please? Are the little cycle speedos legal for the MoT which is due in a couple of weeks?

Mike

• Area Representative

Mike,

As Hoopy says any small magnet will do. I bought a couple of small cupboard magnets from B&Q (and easily prised them out of their plastic cases) and araldited one to a wheel stud bolt within the brake disk - this allows me to change sets of tyres or rotate them round without thinking of keeping the one with a magnet attached always for the o/s front *thumbup*

Mot-wise, I took mine through and given it has a standard Caterham speedo in the dash anyway, the local garage never questionned why I should have another speedo as well. Anyway, IIRC as long as you have a means of measuring your speed it doesn't matter which you have.

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

I have ordered a new angle-drive and a new cable . However, I noticed before connecting cable to angle-drive that I could not turn by hand the cable to actuate the speedo.

Should it be easy to turn?

If the answer is positive , I figure that the speedo itself is kaput.

Am I correct?

Cheers,

Pierre

Now found another magnet so the bike speedo is working again subject to calibration. Just not sure where to mount it as I have a quick release wheel, so not there and doesn't seem to be much room elsewhere. Where do people normally place them?

• Area Representative

Mine is fixed to a piece of large bore curved copper pipe (bent into a "question mark" shape) from a plumbers merchants. Sliced on one face and opened out, it has a curved face to hold the bike display and a flat part to attach it to the dash. I think some people fix from under the dash edge so that the fixing rises from underneath and between the water and oil gauges. With a full cae mounting, mine is attached to the small triangular plate to the right on the driver's side where it is very easily visible and not tucked under the edge of the tonneau.

Note the only downside of using a cycle computer is that they aren't backlit (or all the ones I have seen) and can be very difficult to read at night - in which case I use the tacho to gauge my speed, and check it whenever I pass under a street light

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬