Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Alternator cured - 1.4kss

Sheds Moderator

Well I think so. The 1.4kss alternator is a standard rover part, made in my case by Magnetti Marelli. Mine has a British regulator of unknown marque, and has been previously reconditioned in France. Great. The bits must exist then. Dismantling showed a broken brush, great, this is going to be easy.

40 minutes of looking at brushes in the factor, nothing other than a series of suggestions as to brushes I could modify to fit, if I just unsoldered the brushes... Sure I could, if I wanted to unweld the brush attachments (yes, sadly, spot welded, not soldered...oh then the springs are the wrong way round, oh and I'm not sure how that would fix there...) No, sod it, sell me the proper bit.

That is if we have it... Lessee now, Lucas UCB152, 107 euros. That's over 70 quid!Yes, just for the regulator and brush assy. Ouch. Still, for future reference, there is the part no. I have no doubt that the same Lucas bit in the UK costs about 10 bob.

Still, at least I can bung it on tonight and we are rolling again.

Bug ger. Still at least this way I can fix it quickly. If it turns out to be totally US I will be in touch. Partco want 120 UKP exchange! It appears this model, Magnetti Marelli, is a bit rare and hence dear. Maybe I have been spoilt, my last alty repair (on the tintop heap, earlier this year) only cost UKP40, fitted.

Thanks gents for the offers.