Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best Steering Wheel - your vote please

C7

It has a lot of flex fore aft on the unsupported upper segment, but I can't say I have noticed any issue of flexing in use

Apparently this is so that, in the event of an accident when the drivers head goes forward and twats the wheel, the wheel will deform and absorb some of the energy. So the flexibility is deliberate.

Mine (260mm Racetech) is fine when you're driving - not noticed the flexiness when using it where your hands naturally fall. Mine is blue suede and gets grubby but the suede has been quite durable - perhaps a bit less shiny than my previous Momo one was.

That said, I'm going to try a Sparco Formula steering wheel as they look quite chunky and comfortable and are a teeny bit cheaper than the Momo.

I have a 280mm, suede Momo 26, with racetech QR. Plenty of grip and feel, much better than the mountney it arrived with. Thought about the square bottomed wheels, but without a quick rack was wisely advised against this route (besides, quarticks always remind me of poo brown Allegros *confused*).

The only disadvantage is walking around with a steering wheel and pixie boots, it doesn't half make me feel like a prat.

Mark *cool*

I love my racetech. Unlike my wife I can paw it and grope it all day and it doesn't get upset 😳 *tongue*.

It's removeable and counts as an immobilising feature along with the battery master cutoff switch, which saves me £100 on my insurance.

It does flex but not much. However if I go competing and prang into the barriers the wheel will bend rather than my wrists breaking, which I was told was the reason it's built a bit light. The guy said, 'Think about being upside down in the barriers with petrol leaking all about and you trying to get out of the car with two broken wrists!'. I bought one. It fits the ethos of Colin Chapman adding lightness and all that.

If you are a fan of Steve McQueen and have a copy of Le Mans (Bentleeeeyyyyyyyyyyy !! yes, yes, yes !!!) watch the bit where he's sitting in the wreck of his 917K twitching just after 'the prang'. You'll see the steering wheel quite clearly bent right round where he was holding it. Such attention to detail eh ?

• 8 months later...

Momo 26 280mm diameter, black leather

- doesn't obsure dash instruments (important with Stack ST500 shift lights)

- larger diameter makes for smoother steering inputs and more sensitive feel

vs a 260mm (for my nervous system)

Not sure where you can get them anymore ?

- Will -

Hmmmm....... we can get a lot of opinions about these can't we. I suppose when it comes down to it we have to get on with what we have as few of us have tried others.

My car came with a Motolita 290 mm as standard & that allows a good view of the instruments. The 260 mm in my opinion cuts off the top of the instruments & also increases the steering weight. Couple that with a 22% rack & it can get a lot more physical. Stirling Moss said to drive fast one needs good leverage on the steering wheel (or words to that effect), so it's a combination of wheel size, geometry & seating position (he doesn't like straight arms).

I've now got a Momo 290 quick release with a 22% rack - suits me down to the ground.

Mick