Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best Steering Wheel - your vote please

C7

Following a similar thread below, another "ask the audience". (nice one Terry *smile*)

What is the optimum size, shape and material steering wheel in your experience? Is the standard Caterham supplied any good or not, as the change to Momo 260mm seems to be a popular upgrade, even on the road?

I would have thought it somewhat depends on what tyres and camber you're running (positive vs negative) as to the effort required to punt the wheel, but surely a bigger wheel gives a little more leverage and therefore a bit easier to make corrections (after a big slapper sideways moment for eg!! 😬). Or does the immediacy of a small wheel win out?

So 260mm, 280mm or 300mm? Leather or suede and why? Or something else....what have you....?

JimBean

Original wheel in leather what ever size that is. Though I have been told that I should go to 260mm and gain a bit extra knee room and make entry and exit of the car easier with my long legs *wink*. Not suede though it goes bald in the end and looks ratty.

Is it SUMMER yet? 😬

RaceTech ones get my vote, in suede, not sure what size they are (280mm I think) but they are quite soft in construction, and just feel right. Others hate them and prefer to pay double for a Momo. Oh and has the Caterham logo printed in the middle in case yu forget what you are driving 😬

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

The best wheel is the Momo Q/R 260mm. Both leather and suede are good, I have leather but would swap for suede if I could. Geoff Dixon has a carbon fibre wheel which is worth more than a Westfield so it's out of most peoples' budgets (or sane zone).

Losing the top section of the wheel provides better instrument viewing, especially with the Stack, but I'd stick with round.

shrewdcookie - my site

I've had both and don't see the point in paying the extra for the Momo. I actually found the smaller of these to a bit too fat for my liking (and I have big hands before anyone says anything!). And the centre obscured more of the instruments than the Racetech version, especially with the head-butt pad attached.

Currently using a suede Racetech one. Very nice to hold. The nap does go off after a while but can be brought back up. With suede palmed gloves you get exceptionally good grip on the wheel too, without having to clench (always the best way).

Leather racetech was equally good to use but didn't feel quite as nice.

I think the ones I use are 250mm, which is also an advantage over the Momo. The smaller wheels do give more knee clearance which is essential for some of us. Cost around the 40-50 quid mark I think.

Quick release is also a very good thing. Going Racetech would give you some fundage to put towards this...

Momo for me - the QR is great too...

Hate the look of the standard Cat wheel...

I've got the leather version - had no problems with it so far. If you find sweat a problem, how about a pair of gloves...? *eek*

OK, ok - that's taking it too far.

Regds,

Myles

250mm suede Momo model 26 for me.

What nobody's mentioned yet is that the small suede Momo's come in two flavours, model 11 or model 26. Model 11 has totally round section rim, thats the section thro the rim not the shape of the wheel as a whole. Model 26 is anatomic, marketing speak for shaped bits where you hold, ie the section of the rim varies, thicker below the spokes, thinner just above where you hold it in best 10 to 2 driving mode, and thicker above.

Someone mentioned you get more leverage with a bigger wheel but the downside is you have to move it further. I find 250mm is OK with sticky 7 inch ACB's and a 22% rack and theoretically steering shouldn't come any stiffer than that.

Racetech one, 93 era, was too flimsy for me too, felt like it was about to come apart in my hand.

I have the Racetech one, It's been on the car 6 yrs can't fault it. With a quick rack you don't really need to do anything but hold a 10 - 2 postition and turn ala F1 so the flex at the top is not a problem. It feels more egononic and minimalist than the Momo. That I like.

So Rob you grab all 5 wheels by the scruff of the neck then 😬

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 18 Jun 2003 13:24:34

I have only ever used the Racetech 255mm leather wheel supplied as original equipment with the Superlight. It has a lot of flex fore aft on the unsupported upper segment, but I can't say I have noticed any issue of flexing in use. You just need to make sure you have proper seats so you aren't hangin onto the wheel for support. The leather is now well polished (~40,000 miles use) so isn't as grippy as it used to be. I might freshen it up with some saddle dressing that I have kicking around (somewhat inexplicably). Steering weight is quite high, but I think that has more to do with suspension geometry/chassis balance than anything else and besides, the car isn't an endurance racer.

The Racetech is lighter than the Momo... by a few grammes. Obviously not as light as carbon fibre.

The Roger Swift/Astrali (Richard Meaden Caterham Fireblade) all aluminium wheel is I believe the lightest avaiable.

Momo 260 - a bit too chunky and maybe a bit too small. Feels very strong though

Racetech - nasty bendy thing. Just put your hand on the top of the wheel and push. It's horrid (or at least not to my taste)

Sparco suede thingy - again, very bendy.

Best wheel I've ever felt is the one that comes as standard in the Radical, of which the original prototype can be found in a well known green and yellow Seven.... *wink*

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ __ __ /

___ _//__T/__/_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ /o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) // /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Edited by - Alex Wong on 18 Jun 2003 16:21:50

round, leather, momo 260 for me.

suede gets manky very quickly

smaller means you can move it quicker when driving, esp with a quick rack. a pain when parking though...

my racetech used to leave my hands black as the dye came out.

and the final option - quick release - why 🤔

it seems a common thing to do but i find i can get in and out fine with a 260 - why get the QR 🤔

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

I use the racetech leather 250mm and it works nice for me on road and track (it only flexs if you push the upper part of it and of course this doesn't really happen in practice). I've used the Momo 26 in the same situations a few times and it feels much the same. I have no preference other than the Momo looks nicer to my eyes.