Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fancy bits

John E

I think Powder Puff has replaced many of his water hoses for the blue Samco stuff. I'm sure he said to me it was a bit of a rip-off. However, I like them and like you, think they will be easier to keep clean and i would preume to be less likely to split.

perhaps other blatchatters would offer they're comments.

Samco silicone hose is well worth the cost for the coolant circuit if you are in the habit of doing a lot of maintenance. It seals better, and doesn't bind on so dismantling is easier too. It doesn't crack. It is only good for coolant. It gets dirty quite easily.

For fuel/oil/brakes/vacuum you need specific hose.

Be very wary of the economy (blue/red) hose ends which conceal a clamp underneath a bit of alloy. They are renowned for leaking. The principle is disastrous: take a bit of hose and pretend you have the expensive fitting, but instead use a poor quality hose clamp; too heavy, faux quality and (for Mick Smith) a high pressure fuel leak.

The other important thing is that armoured hose will defend itself at the expense of anything it vibrates against. As soon as you start down the armoured hose avenue, everything needs to be kept away from everything else.