Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle FIA roll bar

John E

It seems that we have been chastised into putting the right things into the right boxes and so my earlier comment under roll bars in Chit Chat now appears here with a few additional comments.

Is it relatively easy to fit an FIA bar into a live axle car and what mods are required or does the heavier bar use the same mountings.

Will the hood??? have to be replaced and if yes does this mean the side screens as well.

Will the boot cover continue to fit or not, I suspect not due to a beefier material being used.

How much are they.

I fitted the FIA bar in my Classic (Academy) car last year easy enough. It's a whole lot easier if the boot florr isn't already in. They're notoriously difficult to fit as you have to wiggle and bend them. You'll need a new boot cover, which is just as well as you'd have to take the old one off anyway.

I believe you'll need a new hood and the FIA hood will only fit if you get the std one, not the 2 inches taller FIA bar us lanky gets need.

Davebo

C7 CAR

I had an FIA bar fitted last year and my old hood still fits (my hood is the "old fashioned" type too ie not the increased weather protection version introduced a few years ago) . The hood sticks need to be positioned slightly differently and it (probably) takes a little longer to erect the thing now. My old tonneau cover DOES NOT fit properly anymore however. I still use it but the rear locater holes do not match the tonneau locaters properly.