Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Loud ticking noise

PhilD

My nearly new 1.8 Roadsport has developed a loud ticking noise from the off side rear wheel, sounds a bit like I've picked up a large stone or nail in the tyre, obviously I have checked for this.

The noise stops on braking so I've have checked the disc and it appears to run true.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Thanks

Phil

Fuel Pump ?!?

Mine makes a loud ticking noise, but seems to work fine. The fuel pump is usually fixed to the rear of the the passenger bulkhead by the nearside rear wheel. When you brake the fuel demand would drop off and the ticking would space out and seem to dissappear.

Otherwise check round the inside of the rear wheels and look for rub marks.

I've always had this noise from my car but I think it's due to the fuel pump......was your Ford live-axle the same? I don't think the ticking on your K series would be quite as loud!

*idea* Have you jacked the rear end up and turned the wheel, then tried to push/pull it while still on the car (as if testing the half-shafts/bearings)? Only a suggestion but I'd hate to see it go back to the factory for a major component again. *mad*

R992RJM

😬

try in / out of gear, clutch in / out, various gears, speeds etc and try and find out what the noise is related to. eg if it happens whatever gear you're in and is related to road speed then its from somewhere past the gearbox etc.

The other way is to crawl around underneath and look for any signs of rubbing.

it can be hard to locate noises when driving - so roll the car slowly on the driveway with a few friends listening around it is also useful.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you have solved the problem. If not the following may be of use.

It may have something to do with a dodgy wheel bearing. Caterham wheel bearings don't last very long. I have had two cars over the last 2 years that have had wheel bearing problems (may be due to my weight!)

Wheel bearing noise will tend to disappear under braking as you transfer weight distibution. If you have not resolved the problem, I would suggest that you take the wheel off the offending corner and rotate the hub with year ear next too it. This may give an indication of whether a bearing is dragging inside the hub. You may need to roll the car down an incline without the engine running as well as this will place extra weight on the bearing.

If it is a bearing you could first try repacking it with grease prior to forking out on a new bearing.

Phil, I had a similar problem recently and found that it was caused by an item (small plastic pot - don't ask, I'm embarassed as hell) being wedged between the propshaft uj and the transmission tunnel side. It took forever to find as the sound was deceptive, it appeared to be coming from the disc area which it was not. Do get the car up and have a good look underneath as it could be something as simple and obvious as this.

Thanks for the replies, the noise is intermitent and goes when I apply the foot brake, also when I drive in the wet.

I've removed the brake pads to check for stones etc. and the noise dissappeared only to return a few miles later *confused*

Thanks again

Phil C7 PCD

I've got a similar noise I can hear coming from the front offside wheel when it's rotating slowly. I can't hear it with the brakes applied or when travelling at speed. I jacked the thing up and rotated the wheel by hand and the noise seemed to be generated by intermitant contact between the disk and the pad(s). Decided not to worry about it, but will check again during the 6000 mile service this weekend and will post if I discover anything significant.

BRG SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Gave all the wheels a good spin with the 7 on axle stands and my ticking noise is only coming from the front wheels.

After removing the wheels and spinning the front hubs by hand it's possible to hear the pads slightly rubbing on the discs. This displaces the pads on their support pins and causes the ticking noise. If I push on the pads with my fingers, the rubbing still occurs but no ticking noise.

I'm satisfied there's no problem with my set-up, and am now happy to ignore the ticking I'm getting 😬

BRG SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I get the same ticking as Tony does on my SV.

As an aside Tony..... there is another quote by Saint-Exupery which I think is more appropriate to a 7, "Only that which you have tamed belongs to you"

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

I've always put a light smear of grease on the back of the pads to stop click clack and squeal from the brakes. It seems to work why not give it a try.

That's ont the back of the pads, not the friction faces you understand 😬 😬