Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best Tyres - your vote please

Terry Field

With the search facility down I have decided to 'ask the audience'.

I am running a 1600 Xflow live axle on 185/70 Michelins and need to change. I need a tyre that will give me about 10,000 miles, mainly road driving but 1 or 2 track days per annum.

I obviously don't want anything too sticky, being mindful of the half shaft problem on the Ital axle.

Current favourites seem to be the Avon CR322, the Yoko A539 (possibly the favourite) or the A021 (possibly too sticky). The Goodyear Eagle F1 is also a possibility but I have limited info on it.

There may also be other suitable tyres which I have not yet found / considered but which others may have experience of.

PLease let me have you considered views as to which tyre you would go for, with as much info about your choice as possible.

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

How about the Bridgestone RE720 as used by the sprinters who run on List 1A tyres. Costs around £40 each and give plenty of grip for the road and should last at least 10,000 miles depending on use. What size rims are you using?

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Avoiding the Kerbs

I'm With Graham, some 21R's on my car have show little signs of wear in 2000 miles, quite depressing really as I do give them some thorough "use". Suppose this gives me the excuse to get some more wheels and 32's or ACB10's 😳

Try Yoko 21R's nice an grippy and should last well.

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

I'm with Mark Durrant. You CAN get the Potenza Re720 in 15 inch and it'll give you the mileage you want. What's more, you can take very wet bends with greater confidence if you have somethng with a more conventional tread.

Ken

Embarrassment all round 😳 😳 😳 I'm running 13" rims not 14". Wot a pl*nker

Anyway, the audience seem pretty split with a preponderence towards the 021's, with the A539's a close second. Both are a smaller 60 profile (rather than the 70 of the Michelin), but I can live with that.

Any final votes for either the 021's or A539 before I give myself the 'final answer' 😬

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

AO21s are great. I have a xflow, that is around 155 - 160 bhp and haven't had any probs with half shats etc. I have been running 21's for 2 years, just bought a new set from Polley's. They were the same price delivered as they were 2 years ago, great value *cool*

Forgot to mention - 185/70 13's

Edited by - casbar on 17 Jun 2003 20:49:17

I stick to 70 profile A021Rs as they suit the live axle very well and allow a slightly more comfortable ride than the 60's would without much loss in handling. Also 'cheap as chips' at £40 each from GP (cf £60ish for the 60 profile). Being that cheap allows for you wearing them out that little bit quicker!

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!