Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

oil pressure sender

markb905

I have tried to get a new sender form the local rover garage, but without a part number they can't do anything!, does anyone know what the number is, it's for a 98 VVC, the sender looks like a small canister.

Thanks

Mark Bennett

What's wrong with your original sender and where in the East Midlands are you? If you're ever in the M42/M5 area (Redditch) you can have the one I took off mine when I converted to Spa gauges. It was reliable enough, although occasionally I needed to re-crimp the electrical connector on as it does get a lot of "environmental" exposure sitting where it does on the car.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Thanks all, no wonder the Rover dealer was no help!, the problem is that it leaks oil, from what i can see it's the sender and not at the point it's bolted to the car, i have cleaned it all down and am going to give it a run this evening to see if i can confirm that that is the case, it only leaks when the engine is running which i think points to the sender,

There is no damage to the sender that I can see, but given that the sump was distroyed by a cats eye last summer I think it must have been that which has caused the problem.

happy to purchase one off someone, if i can work out which one it is!,

thanks

Mark Bennett

I have a 98 VVC too and I am concerned my oil pressure sender is not so clever as the readings are low most of the time. The engine sounds sweet enough just that the hot tickover is only just above the red! *eek* and the reving pressure makes it to 2.5 only.

I have emailed Mark about this as he and I are in contact ( he seems quite handy and capable ) I am not on the other hand! Do you need to drain all the oil out prior to changing it ( thats if I can work out how to get a replacement ) or can I just remove it and put the new sender in?

thanks for your help

Zak

See my car here

Unscrew the old one, hold your thumb over the hole, fit the new one as quick as you can.

My oil pressure was >4 at 7krpm and 2 at tickover. Then it would drop to <2 all of a sudden then back to 4. Sometimes tickover would be just off red. Some general corrolation between temperature and pressure.

With the new sender tickover is 4, and 7krpm is 8 bar. Probably not right but much more reassuring .

The cognosenti seem to convert to SPA digital. Anyone know how this is done?

Unscrew the old one, hold your thumb over the hole, fit the new one as quick as you can.

My oil pressure was >4 at 7krpm and 2 at tickover. Then it would drop to <2 all of a sudden then back to 4. Sometimes tickover would be just off red. Some general corrolation between temperature and pressure.

With the new sender tickover is 4, and 7krpm is 8 bar. Probably not right but much more reassuring .

The cognosenti seem to convert to SPA digital. Anyone know how this is done?

Yep, take off old sender. Replace with remote mounting kit (RMK) from either Caterham (expensive and contains new filter housing for some reason) or Think Automotive (cheaper, just as good and less hassle when fitting). Fit new Spa sender to RMK. Plug Spa-supplied cable into new sender. Route cable to dash. Remove old gauge. Install new gauge in same hole. Plug spa cable into sender. Drive off into sunset with gorgeous girl on arm.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours