Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help, rev's not coming down 1,6 K SS

Axel Arnold

Hi,

just monted the old orginal air filter for comparing noise with the K&N (a little less noise - just fine for no more ringing in my ears with 4-1 comp. exhaust). But now the rev's are not coming down, hanging at 2000 1/min. After shaking at some parts around the connection of the air filter, it's getting a little better. Most effect when moving the ?-sensor near the butterfly valve: moving away - rev's go up, moving to the valve - rev's go down slowly.

Test drive: Still hanging sometimes at atbout 2000-3000 1/min.

Any idea?

Axel

Oily,

thanks, overtightenig was also my first idia, so loosened the clip nearly totally. Did help a little bit. Will take a look inside the throttle body for the butterfly. You think, the senor is ok?

My Revs where comming down quite slowly also before, but had no idea why. The butterfly turns easaly.

Axel

The IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) isn't a sensor, its a valve which modulates air to the engine in order to maintain the correct idle speed regardless of temperature or load. It is also used to soft-land the engine when the throttle is closed suddenly which has a fasvourable affect on emmissions.

It is a large black valve attached to the inlet plenum and it has a large diameter rubber hose which connects to the air filter side of the TB.

Wait for the idle to settle, with the engine running disconnect the electrical multi-plug from the IACV and see if the problem dissapears, if it does then the IACV may need a good clean.

Oily

I had a similar problem on my 1.6SS, revs slow to return especially when everything was hot. I took the throttle housing off and found it to be quite squeaky, I changed to the alloy type (thanks Count) and it's been perfect since. They are apparently prone to this as they say!

Phil

Axel, not sure when Rover brought the alloy type out (someone will be along in a minute to tell us) but the advantage is that you don't get the sticky throttle problem when hot and you can also tighten up the air filter clip as tight as you want without distorting anything which is a problem with the plastic housing.

Have a look on www.eliseparts.com you can actually get a 160 throttle housing which has a throat size of 52mm instead of the standard 48mm. which they say will give a few more BHP.

Phil AV02NJO

*thumbup*

When I had my hairdresser car (MGF vvc) I fitted a Green Airfilter. Following this I had the symptoms you describe. Put the car back to standard, and the problem remained. Took it back to the dealer, who said I'd probably overtightened the clamp. Fixed it under warranty (Even though we both admitted that it was entirely my fault *eek*. The even put the Green filter back on for me! Problem was then intermittant. It was traced to a something or other causing a slight isue with the ECU. Dealer explained that to reset the ecu, all I had to do was:-

Ignition to position 2

Pump the brake pedal 5 times (Apparantly the ECU reacts when you apply the brakes, and takes its info from the brake light circuit)

Switch off for 5 secs

Hey presto re-set and away you go! Worked for me on quite a few occasions.

Dunno if this might help, but it might be worth a go.