Click here if you are having website access problems ×

To cycle or not to cycle.

AMMO

I like my flared wings. Don't get me wrong I like cycle wings too. Seeing as my car is basically a road tool and I'm not interested in going over 120/125 mph (true speed, not as indicated by the speedo). Do I really need to get rid of them? I could run the flared arches on the road and stick cycle wings on for track days. Is there anything you can do to improve road holding (K series owners no jokes about casting iron heads for a VX please). Any figures for the lift flared wings generate? Are they really that bad?

AMMO

Not sure that you could easily effect a system for swopping over from flared to cycle wings for road/track - apart from the ugly holes you'll leave down the tub when removing the flared items, you'd have to disconnect the (wing-mounted)indicator repeaters. Unless you have (the now standard) tighter steering rack, a flared-wing car will have a slightly greater lock and hence a cycle wing would rub against the body without the rack stops in place.

I don't know how the flared wing mount attaches to the suspension, either - so I don't know if you can simply attach and demount the wing carrier. Might be more complex than that....

Pierson.

You can always cut a section out about two thirds along the f/wing to reduce the airtrap problem. This can have a mesh under it to stop the errant stones etc.Have seen this at Castle Coombe, & Brands H. I would think this system has less lift than the std. cycles if the section cut out is large enough (I think it was about 250x150mm). Besides, Flared wings LOOK MUCH BETTER!!!

My opinion, OK ?thumbsup.gif

Thanks guys for your comments. I think for the moment the answer is not to cycle. Had the car flat out yesterday (not very fast) and really did not feel there was a problem. Once I get the a bit of extra speed then maybe I'll reconsider. The car I fell in love with as a 10 year old boy had flared wings and 35 years on I still think it looks beautiful.

AMMO