Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

A frame bushes

m shutler

An ominous clunk has revealed that the A frame bushes on my vx classic need to be replaced. I would like to take preventative steps in future to avoid total disintegration.

How often is it reccomended by those more mechanically minded than I am that this is done.

Thanks.

Give Mike a call at Redline. I heared they sell alternative A frames with rose joint or something like that..

I am keeping my conventional A frame as I have bought 5 sets of bushes! Got to use them up 😬

A ll standard, Classic 1.7 X-flow *cool*

The A frame point takes tremendous forces where it joins to the live axle. The bush disintigrates very quickly as a result. Changing it regularly is a 5 minute job once you've done it a few times and every 500 miles is a good interval.

A pal of mine rose jointed his and the bush, complete with a jagged chunk of the axle diff casing sheared off after a few hundred miles. Urethane bushes may last a bit longer, but changing them is easy and the standard ones are cheap. Remember the design of the car is 40 years old +. There are some aspects of the design where you simply have to step back in time to a different era where constant fettling was needed to keep things in tip top shape. It's all part of the fun.

Mine does almost pure track work, and I deliberately overfill the diff & hence get a fair bit of oil out the breather and onto the bushes. As a result I change mine every trackday (which is also what Caterham recommend). Usually the left hand bush needs changing after a day on track, while the right hand one is pretty OK.

I'm dubious about other solutions, as the bushes are meant to take the strain and eventually fall apart, so that other parts don't.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran The rose jointed bushed on my A-frame for ages using it mostly on track and with 32Rs/ACB10s. No probs...

Also used the deamon tweeks bushes which were actually de-dion front end bushes that needed to be cut down, they were fine though.

The axle itself was another matter ☹️......

Graham ( soon to be in a 7 *biggrin*)

I'm a bit unclear how a rose jointed one would work given that the bush is subject not only to vertical and fore & aft forces but also acts in part to locate the axle against lateral forces?

Or am I missing something?

Incidentally I did some 3000 miles on my last set of bushes, including about 20 sprint/hillclimbs, yet they showed only slight wear when I replaced them. Taht has been my experience over the last 5 years or so.

Barry