Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-series run-on

Myles

Just got back from a blat. Bl**dy hot today (the weather, that is).

I left the engine running for a minute or two while I checked the oil level (separate thread about this elsewhere...) and then switched off.

The engine continued to run for ooooh, I dunno, realistically 3-5 seconds - obviously it felt longer due to the WTF factor.

It's a 1.6 k-series roadsport with an apollo tank. Not a diesel, honest *wink*

No tweaks. Never done it before - but I think I might have spied a thread some time ago.

Any ideas? Should I even be worried (I'm not yet - saving that for later...)

Regds,

Myles

Myles

When the engine is switched off with the fan running, the fan stops being a motor driven by electicity and becomes a dynamo for a few seconds generating electricity while it comes to a stop.

So, although you have cut the power, the fan holds the power line high for a couple of seconds and allows the engine to carry on running. The ECU is not controlled by the ignition switch because it has a pemanent +12v line straight to the battery.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Ahh! *biggrin*

Yep, that'd be it. *thumbup* Rings a bell too. *idea*

Hmm, so how many TADTS's have I found so far... *confused*

It's a bit like finding 'easter eggs' in computer games - there will be more out there somewhere

Thanks

Edited by - Myles on 15 Jun 2003 17:06:35

You got to love this club. I just got back from a great Blat, turn the car off, take the key out and it's still running for a few seconds. Figured that you guys would set me on the right path to fix it. I didn't even have to Post the question. Is this a great club or what! *cool* Tom

I probably wouldn't have if the search was working.... *tongue*

I know it's a bit tricky with 7's - practically no two are the same, but surely someone has put together a reasonable TADTS faq... *confused*?

Any qualified volunteers (or links to existing works?)

Regds,

Myles