Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Too much noise

Nick Speed

I run a Vauxhall HPC on carbs, Caterham sports exhaust, standard K&N's and QED 42 cams, and the volume attracts the wrong attention. Any advice on quietening things down? Although there is a degree of exhaust noise, there is also a lot of induction. Would a different type of filter help - the noise appears to reverberate off the metal outer casing of the K&N's.

All help appreciated, many thanks, Nick

Nick,

I've got pretty much the same set up as you. Raceco silencer made a big difference to exhaust noise and I would thoroughly recommend one. Still leaves the horrendous induction roar which sometimes I love and sometimes makes me cringe. Can't say I'm qualified to advise on what you do about this but air box with remote intake like the Reverie(sp) box for R500's could be one direction to go in. The other thought I'd had was to glue accoustic blanket to the underside of the bonnet to stop it acting like a giant loudspeaker cone. I'm reluctant to change the K+N's as they look right for my cars age and afterall they are very good filters.

Alan

I know that when I put on a K&N filter.. replacing a Folded Paper type.. the Induction noise became a problem.. where it never was before.

Yup the K&N gives a wee bit faster 'rev up' .. but the noise was (to me) a heavy price.

There is another 7 owner in my part of the world.. and his car is embarrasingly loud.. I've seen it set off every single car alarm along the street.. and he driving moderately.

V difficult to drive aggressively when yer car can be heard Miles away ;-)

Depends whether or not one wants/desires to make a Spectacle of oneself *wink*