Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Foodie wibble

Please excuse me whilst I wibble on about food for a bit *smile* ... to nobody in particular ...

Have just been to Borough market (near London Bridge) where they have a farmers market every Friday. WOW ! I now have a big bag of food to take home with me ....

A Murtabak (Malaysian spicy minced lamb pancake with curry sauce) - Mrs N lived in Singapore for 3 years and loves them .. so I think she will be pleased as she needs some cheering up *smile*

Some Comte Cheese

Some Cuban coffee

A huge Melton Mowbray pork pie ...mmm pie ....

And most exciting of all, some Joselito Iberico ham. Aged for 3 years and made from black pigs (nearest relative to the Wild Boar) that feed on acorns. Is quite expensive at £140 a kilo *eek* *eek* .... but is just the most fabulous taste and it melts in the mouth.

Am quite a happy boy after a good hour spent nosing round food stalls in the sunshine *cool*

Murtabak (aka Motorbike)! Food of the Gods! I'm going to stand at Dorking station and mug you for that alone, never mind the other delicacies.

(Info for Mrs Noger - the Thai supermarket in Guildford sells excellent frozen roti prata/canai. Good for breakfast with a sloppy curry.)

Mrs M has promised home-made char siew tonight. Yum.

Edited by - Meldrew on 13 Jun 2003 14:52:04

roti prata .... oh yes *smile* now thats a proper breakfast. Mrs N has been feeling a bit under the weather, so I asked her what she really wanted to eat ... she said Roti Prata ! Had I known I could have got some in Guildford I would have been over there like a shot. Whereabouts in Guildford is it ?

And home made Char Sui ... you lucky man, ah ?

Edited by - Noger on 13 Jun 2003 15:08:30

I can't remember the street name - I'm hopeless with them - but it's more-or-less opposite the Civic theatre, last in the parade of shops on a hairpin right from the mini-roundabout on Epsom Road as you come into the centre of town. Same parade as Richer Sounds and next to the Rumwong Thai restaurant (which is not that great). It sells all manner of SE Asian stuff, even candlenuts and banana leaves. Pop in and say "sawasdee krap".

For a weekend treat for Mrs N, why not take her for lunch at the Yellow River Cafe in Guilf? It's in one of those little roads off the high street. Ken Hom is the consultant chef and they do some awesome SEA food like nasi/mee goreng, roti canai, laksa (this one chilli no enough, lah), "Singapore Noodles" (ie bee hoon), thai curry etc etc. All washed down with the great taste of formaldehyde that only Tiger can give you. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Thinking about it, might go there meself tomorrow.

Speaking of weekend treats I fancy a blat early on Sun if I can get away with it? Are you up for it?

Edited to put correct person's wife in weekend treat suggestion. Typo, typo, typo.... 😳

Edited by - Meldrew on 13 Jun 2003 15:28:21