Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Yoko A048Rs

GrahamClarke

Yes we are - they are supposed to be better than 32's instandingwater - we use them is all weather with no problems. I am going to write a fuller 'review' on my website, but there are some pictures in the 'tech' section. I wrote about our thoughts a few weeks ago, but not sure if the search is working again.

For what its worth, we had 32's before the 48's - and we will now stick to the 48's - its simply a newer design. We have 185/60/14 on our 1.6k Supersport.

New site! mycaterham.com

here

42,000 in 23 months!

Just read your report Angus, having walked passed my spare wheels in the porchway for the last fortnight, still shod with Michelin Spinalots.

Think 048s may be the way to go.

Would you recommend 032Rs for dry, track work over the 048? These will be on 13" R500 wheels, rather than the 14" miniltes for the 048s.

George Polley told me a few months ago that the 048R's were designed for larger heavier cars where the centre blocks in the 032R's were moving around too much and getting too hot. Thus the new design has a continous band of rubber around the middle section of tread which deforms less and stays cooler. He didn't feel that a light seven type car caused 032R's any problems.

At that time 048R's were unavailable in 13 inch sizes are they on sale now?

Hi all, having read the previous thread from Angus & Tessa, are you suggesting that 185/60x14's 48r's are a better bet than 195/60x14's. Only i'm about to buy some and cant make up my mind which size to go for! Did the 195's wear evenly across the tread? Did you notice any difference in smoothness of the ride? Did the 195's look to big for the 14" wheels?

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

The 195's looked great on 14" wheels, waer was/is even etc. Its just that IMO the wider tyreon the front promoted more tram lining than before, slightly heavier steering at parking speeds etc. We now have 195 on the back and some 185 on the front (until all the 195's wear out!) The tramlining has reduced considerably. When the 195's have worn out I shall replace with 185's and save a little tiny bit of dosh. For our car 185 seems spot on. Of course if vefore then I suddenly upgrade in power, I'll stick with the 195's on the back!

I will put my previous thread up on my website in 'Tech stuff, tyres' a bit later today with a slight update on the tyre widths.

New site! mycaterham.com

here

42,000 in 23 months!

Thanks for the reply, by the end of the year my baby will have hopefully around 200bhp, my 16" pilots are appalling so are going to be consigned to the garage roof, hence the 48's. I presume with more power the 195's are better. I'm used to massive tramlining so anything would be better than the 205/45's.

i liked your website, the cartoons are excellant, official club cartoonist postion filled!

cheers

Andy