Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedo and Brakes

barrywilks

II've done about 650 miles in my 1.6 K now and a couple of things have cropped up I'd like to ask:

1) The speedo has become very erratic. It didn't do this before the 500 mile service but to my knowledge there is nothing in the service that should have affected the speedo.

The symptoms are that it reads fine most of the time but then starts 'flapping in the breeze' only to settle down to a steady reading again. At speed it goes absolutely nuts every now and then. (Up as well as down)

2) I've noticed this only two or three times now - noises from (I assume) the rear brakes. This is much more infrequent than the speedo problem. Sounds like a metal grinding and is periodic relative to speed - which disappears when I brake only to re-appear when I release, but goes after a very short time.

What I really want to know is whether I should be concerned about either of these and get onto Caterham (under warranty etc) or whether 'they all do that sir'. Any advice?

Blimey, maybe I was expecting too much but the lack of interesting (in even reading this thread) leads me to believe that this must be totally normal behaviour.

Do I have to post a thread entitled 'Head Gasket' to get some interest?!!! *smile*

O.K. here goes......., second speedo question today, the indications from your speedo could mean one of two things, the speedo cable is on its way out, yes I know, only done a few hundred miles and all that, but I had one that only lasted about 10, so you're on a winner, but seriously, this is not an unknown problem, the second possible scenario is some contamination in the speedo between the pointer drag cup and the magnet which rotates therein, is the car new from Caterham?, if so these could be sorted by them or one of their agents under warranty, hopefully, sorry I can't help with the other part of your question, if the speedo is driven from a sensor on the gearbox it may pay to check the connector security, and freedom from contamination, and of course the cable info will not be relevant, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.