Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil pressure - The update

julians

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Spoke to James Whiting today he reckons that Mobil 1 is too thin for a Zetec or anything else for that matter in a Seven"

In my experience this is nonsense. My engine builder recommended using Mobil 1 above anything else. It's what I've always used. Do the Mobil 1 doom-mongerers understand viscosity ratings?

As far as the Zetec is concerned, go and check with Ford - they recommend a *thinner* oil than Mobil 1. They have service notes which detail that the tappets in the Zetec need a thin (W30) oil.

Mike

Edited by - Mike Bees on 31 Jan 2001 09:44:17

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I have found someone who was willing to actually investigate the problem (rather than try and sell me a new engine).

He said the symptoms didnt sound like a releif spring problem , but they have looked at it anyway ( at my request) and found that it is well and truly cream crackered, so new spring and plunger has been ordered, and hopefully that will solve the problem ( I will let you know soonish)

So many thanks to everyone who has been telling me all along that it was a releif spring problem, if so many people on here thought that that was the problem, why did I have major trouble convincing two different garages to actually investigate this area.

Julian

Not sure if it's incompetence or the burning desire to sell you a nice expensive new engine. Either way it's a sad indictment of some (not all) of the motor trade that they were unwilling to investigate this as the first possible, and maybe slightly obvious, cause of the problem! Hope that sorts the problem for you now though and you will soon be soundly thrashing those Zetec horses. wink.gif

Brent

The bill for the first one ended up costing 500 quid, but that wasnt just to look at the cause of the pressure problem. That covered rolling road mapping of engine (which came to 300 quid), checking the tightness of all relevant suspension bolts etc, and retapping and remounting the alternator, along with other sundries such as oil & filter and spark plugs etc.

I dont know the bill for this one, but I'm hoping its not going to be much because all he has had to do is take the sump off, check the oil pick up pipe O rings, and examine and replace the relief spring. I guess 3-4 hours labour plus some parts.

Presumably you can pass the bill from repairer No 2 on to repairer No 1 saying that if he, repairer No1 had checked what you had asked/instructed him to check then repairer No2 would not have been needed.

I'm not sure about this but £300 for an engine set up seems a bit steep. I suppose it may have just been swallowable if they'd cured the original problem but I think I'd be stopping the cheque.