Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.8K spiggot bearing and bush

fordy

It seems the chamfered hole in the end of the 1.8 crankshaft at the flywheel end would be too small to take a spiggot bearing (engine is exMGF I believe). It only has an i.d of about 11mm. The 1.4SS (ex caterham) engine that I have with spiggot bearing already installed seem to have a much larger hole.

It looks like the gearbox input shaft is too thick to sit in the crank end so I guess there is no way around this. Do all 1.8's have to do this, or were there generational changes?

I suspect I have to get the end of the crankshaft machined out, which is a bit of a pig because it would mean I have to then split the engine apart.

The 1.8 I have just fitted to Andy's car took a bush and spigot bearing. You have to aim to mount these near the opening of the hole and you have to trim the input shaft on the gearbox. Fitting the spigot bearing and sleeve is a pig of a job because the tolerances of the parts are not good. The best bet is to dress the surfaces first quite vigorously with a spiraband on a dremel.

The 1.4 and 1.8 both use the Ford spigot bearing bodged to fit in the Rover crank.

Peter,

but I'm talking an id of only 11mm as opposed to about 18mm I think. I'm sure a spiggot bearing wouldn't even fit in the chamfer ! Suck it and see I guess.

When you say 'trim off the input shaft', you mean, 'attack with an angle grinder'?

Is Andy up and away yet? sounded like there's been a few problems......

I shall be dropping Andy's old 1.4 in this weekend, can't wait to get back on the road.

If it is dia 11mm then then it sounds like the Rover bush is still in place. This, I believe (as I have never seen one), should be a bronze bush. You can get a slide hammer with internal collets to remove this (Machine Mart 40 quid) or you can go to a friendly garage and get them to remove it. AFAIK the standard Rover crank hole is 23mm diameter - 21.5mm of Ford spigot bearing and 1.5mm of sleeve (0.75mm wall thickness)

You're not alone:My crank was a 1.6 but it had a drilling of similar size to yours (didn't measure it exactly - just knew it was too small). It was definitely a straight drilling not a previously inserted bush or sleeve.

I took the crankshaft to an engineering works (Saunders in Cadnam) and had them bore it out to take the Ford spigot bearing exactly, with no bush/sleeve required. This accepted the Ford gearbox input shaft with no further modification.

Sadly I think you'll need to do the same......

I had to angle grind my output shaft as its an old long shaft and i had an MGF crank. You can either drill the crank (as caterham used to) or cut the shaft (Caterham make the shaft shorter now) and it will henceforth be fine in drilled and undrilled cranks.

LOTS of measuring and then lots of noise as I attacked it. The tolerance you need is quite big - I think it was something like cut off between 8 and 18 mm. I elected to cut off something like 13mm.

DON'T TAKE ME WORD ON THESE NUMBERS check them yourself.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

stu forshaw cut off about 15mm I think. My problem is the diameter of the hole, not the depth. (missus)

The bonus will be that when I get the crank drilled, I guess I should be able to get it drilled to take the spiggot bearing without resorting to a bush. Will also get the right depth drilled so that I don't have to cut anything off the g/box input shatft.

In the end its also the perfect excuse to send DVA the head and to rebuild the bottom end with new bearings etc.. No rush anyway as have bought myself time with a replacement 1.4SS for my dead one.

DVA is still pretty busy - but the results are worth it *smile* I'm still too scared to use full throttle on mine (only done 100 miles in it since though - off to le mans tonight).

you're right though - if its getting drilled out wider you may as well drill it as deep as is required for a long shaft.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R