Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R500 Wheel Nuts again - BUT Stainless!

Harry Flatters

That will be stainless steel, that famous low tensile, fatigue prone fastener grade. I suppose the existing ones are chromed monkey metal so it probably is of no concern. Some people get away with alloy wheel nuts, but presumably not in the Barnby design.

Pretty sure I'm not interested. Stainless or not will look the same under a layer of brake dust.

[toys out of pram]

Right - now having completely wrecked my thread, I'm going to get myself a set of these nuts (which at least 2 engineers and a phone call with PC have confirmed will be absolutely OK stresswise) and if anyone says "oooh those are nice nuts - where can I get some" - my answer will be "you can't - look and weep"

[/toys out of pram]

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Joint AO - Surrey

I'm pretty certain alloy would be a disaster with the Barnby style of sleeve nuts.

Just to clarify my comments above. I don't think the existing standard nuts are of particularly high quality. I reckon a stainless nut will be OK in this implementation. The Barnby design is sensitive to overtightening and torque when fitting should not exceed 55lbft or thereabouts. Stressing these nuts beyond this level leads to the head breaking off.

It is very common practice for mechanics to bounce on wheel braces "to give them a bit extra". I would gladly throttle any mechanic who did such to my nuts. Also you have to beware of tyre fitters and eny other undertrained/time pressured mechanic who might stick an pneumatic wrench on the wheel nuts.

Harry

[Grovel Mode On}

Apologies, I'm feeling rather flippant today and didn't realise you were so sensitive about the condition of your nuts.

[Grovel Mode Off]

On a serious note my standard nuts used with KN Minators are looking a tad tired *thumbdown* and I was wandering if the R500 type nut can be used with this wheel 🤔

By the way Kylie was in Covent Garden in a bikini doing some filming for BA *thumbup* but unfortunately I got there just as she cleared off *mad* but the other girls were quite fit 😬

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Avoiding the Kerbs